#10 Jean and Roger's getaway

Home sweet home. I drop my bags on the floor of my room and longingly look at my bed. I can either just fall down on it and not get up till tomorrow, or I can go take a shower first and then fall down on my bed.

  Sighing, I grab fresh towels from the shelf. Shower, it is.

  The next day, I wake up at 6 as I'm used to in the last couple of weeks. When I go downstairs my dad looks at me in shock. "You're up early?" he asks.

  I shrug.

  "Maybe you should've stayed there a few days longer," dad says. I glare at him and go pour myself some coffee he'd prepared.

  "Are you going to school today?" he asks.

  I nod. I was going to skip school because of all the traveling I did yesterday but since I'm up this early, better get on with the day.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me and just left!" Kara says as I approach our lockers.

  "It was a last minute thing," I lie. I was not in a good place when I left and I didn't want to see or talk to Kara so I didn't tell her I was leaving.

  "How was the training? Roger told me it was pretty rough," Kara says.

  "For him and Dalton it was. I trained with another instructor who specialized in running, so it was good. He was very laid back."

  "Did you meet any hot guy?"

  "Kinda."

  "What do you mean kinda?"

  "There was a guy I trained with. He was nice. But it didn't work out."

  "Why!??"

  "I don't think I can do long distance relationship. Now enough about me. How were you holding up without us?"

  "Ugh," she groans. "It was so boring. I wish dad had sent me, too, with you guys. Oh, there they are!"

  I turn around and see Roger and Dalton coming. Once they reach us Kara throws her arms around Roger and gives him a kiss. He kisses her back. I leave them, taking Dalton with me.

  "I wanted to talk to you about something," Dalton says on our way.

  "About what?"

  "Matilda."

  "The woman you're having an affair with? Are you in trouble?"

  "Why are you assuming the worst?"

  "I don't think there's a best scenario associated with it."

  "That's true. Anyway, last night she said she wanted to meet me because she missed me and couldn't wait any longer to see me. So I went to the motel. Then when I was leaving this morning she told me she'd like for us to go away for a few days."

  "Go away? Like a mini vacation?"

  "Yeah."

  "What did you say?"

  "I said I'll think about it."

  "But you don't want to go."

  "No. I think she's taking us seriously."

  "I'm surprised you realized that now only."

  "What do you mean?"

  "Have you seen her mate? James has the looks, the brain, the job and the money. He's a whole package. I don't think she would risk losing it all for someone she doesn't feel anything for."