#11 Jean finds some truths

A couple of days after the incident Kara's health started to recover. And in a week both my dad and Kara were discharged. Pending the investigation, my dad was not allowed to return to the lab. The Alpha promised us a fair investigation, however, most of the pack thought that my dad lied.

  The following two weeks of the investigation was hell. Everyone we once thought were our close friends acted hostile towards us. But the truth prevailed. The investigation concluded that the drug injected into Kara and my dad was tampered with, and there does exists the original drug that works.

  The lab invited my dad back in and the final trial was resumed and found successful.

  However, they still hadn't found the culprit.

"Will you give it a break already?" Dalton asks me as I'm looking through my dad's research files to find any clue as to who might've done it. "No,"I tell him. I'm not going to let that jerk get away with it. I'm going to find who did it.

  The doorbell rings. "See who it is," I say to Dalton without taking my eyes off of the research papers in my hand. "Bossy," he mutters before getting up and leaving for the door. For a few seconds I hear nothing from him. "Dalton, who is it?" When I look up from the papers Roger comes in.

  I drop whatever's in my hand on the table and stand up. "What are you doing here?"

  "Jean, I know you're angry. But, please, listen," he says.

  "Did you?" I ask him. "Did you listen to me when I begged you? You just walked away after calling me and my dad liars."

  He takes a step towards me. "Don't" I tell him. "Get out. I don't want to see you."

  "Jean, plea–"

  "I called you. I texted you. But you didn't even reply!" I say.

  "Jean, you don't understand how I felt. Seeing Kara like that, I fel–"

  "I know how you felt. I know exactly how you felt because she wasn't the only one lying on a hospital bed that day. Do you know how scared I was when I heard my dad was in the hospital? He's my only family, Roger. And what did you say to me? That if something happens to her you won't let my dad go!"

  "Jea–"

  "Stop, Roger. I don't want to hear anything you say! I get it! I get that she's more important to you than anyone else, than me! So you don't have to keep repeating how much she means to you and why you did what you did!"

  "Will you just let me explain, Jean. The reason I re–"

  "Dalton!" I shout. "Dalton!" 

  Dalton comes in. "Ask him to leave! Please! I don't want to see him!" Dalton sighs and goes to Roger. "Come on, Roger. She's not in a state to listen to you. Talk to her when she has calmed down. Leave now." Roger hesitates but does as he's told. I sit back down wiping my tears. What makes all of this so painful is that I still foolishly love him.

"Are you still going through all of that?" my dad asks.

  I show him the papers. "You listed James as your co-author in almost all of your papers. Does he know the structure of the drug as well as you do?"

  "Yeah, of course, he does. He has been my assistant for ten years now. He knows all of my work very well. Why? You think he did it? He can never do something like that, Jean."

  "But he's the only one I can think of, other than you, who's capable of altering the drug that was given to you and Kara."

  "But why would he do that?" he asks.