Chapter 10: Intruders

I stood in my cell and rocked Judith in my arms, hushing her as she cried.

Carl sat on the edge of the bottom bunk and stared at the floor. "I killed her."

"No," I said. "My mom did. I was supposed to, but I couldn't. She did it because she loved her. You did what you had to do, because you love her too. We have to be ready to do that for any one of us."

"When you said this prison could be a home, did you really mean that?" he asked.

"We made it. Through a lot. All of us did, together. We made it to a place to sleep, to a place where there's food and water. It is. It's just not with all the people who deserved one."

Dad stood by the door and bowed his head. I handed Judith to Carl and went to meet him. He held a packet in the palm of his hand.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Lily flower seeds. They used to give them to the prisoners to plant, as one of their outdoor activities in the spring. You can plant them while we're gone."

I tilted my head.

"We need more ammo, and formula for the baby. Mom and I are going on a run to get it."

"I can go with you," I said.

"No. Keep an eye on Carl and the baby. You're his best friend, he needs you right now. We'll be back."

...................................................................

The next morning:

The slamming of the main door woke me up. I watched Aunt Beth run to the entrance and got up to follow them.

Rick stood over the woman they brought in. "Steady now."

I moved closer to get a better look at her and kept my gun close. Blood was smeared on her neck, and she breathed heavily as she struggled to sit up.

Rick stared at her and tried to get her to focus. "Who are you?"

She grabbed for her sword that laid ahead of her.

Rick held her down. "We're not gonna hurt you, unless you try something stupid first." He asked her repeatedly who she was, with no real response.

She stared at us like an angry hawk, giving a look of intimidation.

...................................................................

I paced in circles in front of the woman, keeping my distance, with my fingers on my gun in my pocket. Daryl held his crossbow as close to her face as it would go.

"You're gonna have to tell us how you found us. And why you were carrying formula," Rick said.

She bit her lip and sighed. "The supplies were dropped by a young Asian guy with a pretty girl."

I held my face and pointed my head towards the ceiling. "Oh, God."

"What happened?" Rick asked.

"Were they attacked?" Grandpa asked.

"They were taken."

"Taken? By who?" Rick asked.

"By the same son of a bitch who shot me."

Rick bent down in front of her. "Hey, these are our people. You tell us what happened now!" He touched her gunshot wound.

"Don't you ever touch me again!" She bit her teeth together fiercely.

Daryl moved his crossbow closer. "You're gonna have a much bigger problem than a gunshot wound."

"You'd better start talking," Rick said.