Chapter 13: Diversion

I sat on the edge of the bed and slipped on my shoes. Carl reloaded our guns.

"I can load mine," I said.

"I've got it."

"They haven't attacked us in three months, Carl. I'm not saying to pretend like nothing ever happened, but maybe —"

He wouldn't budge. "That's because they're planning something worse. We need to come for them, before they come for us. Like my dad always says."

I put my hands on my knees and sighed.

He turned to me, took off his sheriff hat, and placed it on my head. "We'll be alright. They might have the numbers, but we're strong. We know how to fight them."

I smiled. "Yeah."

...................................................................

I stood above the stairs and placed Judith in the cardboard box on the table.

Aunt Beth organised the baby clothes beside me. "I could use your help with Book Club today."

"I hate reading," I said. "Why are you still doing it after Carol's gone?"

"The kids get bored without it. You and Carl are kids, you should be there anyway."

I squinted my eyes at her. "I'll watch Judith and you can —"

An explosion caused bits of the roof to crumble and fall on top of us.

My heart pounded, and all feeling left my face. "What's happening?"

Aunt Beth hurried to grab Judith's box and place her under the table. I ran down the stairs to grab my gun.

Carl met me at the end of the stairwell and took my hand. "Come on!"

...................................................................

The Governor faced us farther down in the field, and used his tank as his stage. Cars surrounded him. The string of his eyepatch laid sideways across the side of his face. He frowned with malice, his anger bringing him the desire to harm us. "Rick, come down here. We need to talk."

As we assembled on the other side of the fence, I hid behind the adults who stood closer to it.

"It's not up to me. There's a council now. They run this place," Rick yelled to him.

"Is Hershel on the council?"

A woman walked my grandpa out of the car, and with his hands tied behind his back, sat him down in front of the tank.

"What about Michonne? She on the council, too?"

Michonne was forced to kneel on the ground next to Grandpa. She gave a look that reassured me: annoyed by the Governor's schemes, and confident that we were stronger than him.

"I don't make the decisions anymore!" Rick yelled.

"You're making the decisions today, Rick. Come down here. Let's have that talk."

Daryl handed us guns down at our sides, subtly, to keep our plan secret.

I walked closer to Mom to whisper to her. "I need to go with Carl. That's the plan."

She gave me a slight frown and nodded. "Hold your gun the entire time. Don't surrender. I love you."

...................................................................

I aimed my sniper through the holes of the fence, standing in the corner between Carl and Daryl.

"They're talking. We could kill the Governor right now," Carl said.

"From fifty yards?" Daryl asked.

"I'm a good shot. I could end this right now."

"Yeah, or you could start something else."

The Governor grabbed Michonne's Katana, and rushed to my grandpa. He held the sword right below his neck. My heart pounded. My arms tensed, and my ears pained from tension. I shook and struggled to hold the gun. He removed it for a second, and my heart rate decreased from relief. Somewhere deep in my mind, I thought it would end. That the Governor would leave. In the moment of peace and silence, we waited for his next action. He examined the sword, dragged it in the air below him, and slashed it against Grandpa's neck. My mouth locked open, and my exhale forced a sob. We shot as fast as we could. I shut out the screams from Mom and Aunt Beth, focusing on nothing but the trigger. Eventually, my hand gave out.

The tank moved through the fence, collapsing it. First, the farthest fence, then the closest. The cars rolled in.

I moved my position, and tried to get my head together to direct myself through the battle.

Carl continuously pulled his arm back, working his gun. "You've gotta stay here!"

"My dad's in there, I have to go!"

I ran through the smoke in a sideways path, dodging the bullets that shot at me. When I got to the end of the fence, I slowed. I ducked to the ground and held my hands above my head, and my scream erupted. Mom ran to lead me towards the bus. The tank shot at the prison, causing an explosion.

Mom sat me on the steps of the bus. "Dad's in there, I have to get him. You have to stay with Beth, okay?"

My throat tightened, and I tried to force words out, with my effort to breathe making my sob louder. "I have to go with you."

She inhaled and exhaled, reminding me to do the same. "Be strong for you. You have to make it for you. Even if I'm not here, even if you're the last one standing." She put her hands on my knees. "I'll be back."

I laid face-down on the steps. I listened to the hundreds of gunshots, which over time became the normal music of the battle. I didn't move. I was too weak too, and I didn't care if they hit me.