Chapter 12

Since the mention of a cat, Lisa entered into a daze. All thoughts about her feelings for her best friend and confessing them, and even her jealousy towards Jaehyun, are completely forgotten.

She does have a cohesive enough recollection of what Rosie told her - Joy had apparently called and asked them if they could adopt a cat, or at least foster one until she could find a nice home for it.

Joy is now a senior at the university and they met her at a party, through Wendy and Yeri. The girl is a huge dog lover and she volunteers for the dog shelter that's 30 minutes away from the university nearly every day. Joy is also kind of instagram famous at their university and often posts selfies with the dogs up for adoption, significantly increasing the adoption rate of the shelter since she joined them.

Apparently, Joy had found the kitten in the dumpster behind the shelter, crying and afraid, shivering in the cold, with the mother cat nowhere to be found. So she took the kitten into the shelter, cleaned it up - despite the shelter dogs going nuts at the sound of meowing - and then took it home. She'd planned to foster the kitten while she looked for people who would adopt, but unfortunately, she couldn't.

Joy's own dog, Haetnim, went into a whole jealous fit. Joy couldn't get Haetnim to calm down and the neighbors had started complaining. So two hours after she took the kitten home, she called the only people she could think about who would properly love and care for a little kitten, and live in a pet-friendly dormitory.

Lisa and Rosie.

So, 15 minutes after the call, Lisa and Rosie are meeting Joy outside a convenience store midway between Joy's apartment and their dorm.

Joy stands up when she sees the two best friends walking hand in hand towards her. She waves at them gratefully, a big, bright smile on her face.

Lisa and Rosie would both agree that Joy has one of the most heartwarming, and prettiest smiles ever.

"Oh my god, I'm so glad you guys are here! You have no idea how big a deal this is." Joy greets Rosie with a one-armed hug and Rosie returns it.

"Of course! We'd be happy to help you in whatever way we can." Rosie responds sincerely, stepping back from the hug. She turns to Lisa, as if waiting for Lisa to greet Joy, too, but it seems that Lisa is too preoccupied.

Lisa is staring wide-eyed at the little dark blue bundle in Joy's arms where a little nose and whiskers peek out from under. She takes one step closer, mouth opening in the slightest in silent gushing over the cuteness.

The little kitten has short light gray fur with only slightly darker markings. It's sleeping soundly in Joy's arms, probably from her warmth and that of the blanket's.

Lisa comes closer, hunching down to be eye level with the sleeping kitten.

Rosie watches her, sees the expression on Lisa's face, one of pure adoration. Lisa's lips were parted and her eyes were almost sparkling. Rosie wonders if those were unshed tears. She wouldn't be surprised if the cuteness of a baby cat would make Lisa cry. Lisa is obsessed with cats. She always fed and played and petted the stray ones around the campus. Rosie doesn't even know why Lisa never adopted one all these years.

They say love at first sight isn't real. But Rosie knows at that moment, Lisa fell absolutely, madly in love with the little kitten in Joy's arms.

The look on Lisa's face tells Rosie they're definitely adopting the kitten and they wouldn't even consider giving it up to another person. Joy sees the look on Lisa's face, too, and she knows she called the right people.

Lisa looks up at Joy then, and holds up her hands towards the kitten, wordlessly asking permission if she can hold the cat. Joy happily hands it to her and Lisa cradles it as if cradling a newborn child, summoning all the gentleness in the world.

The kitten wakes up and stares big round eyes up at Lisa. It then meows, a tiny sound.

Lisa is surprised and she looks at the two other women in front of her, as if to ask; 'Did you see that? Did you hear that?'

Rosie and Joy laugh at the cuteness of it all - at the kitten and at the unbridled glee exuding from Lisa's whole being.

Rosie watches Lisa and feels her heart swell with affection.

One of her most favorite things in the world is just watching her best friend be happy.

Lisa stares down at the kitten and she lifts a hand to give him a soft little scratch on its forehead with the tip of her finger. The kitten closes its eyes and enjoys the physical affection.

Rosie hopes it's the kind of cat that enjoys attention. Because then it would just be perfect for Lisa. She knows her best friend is just buzzing with the desire to pour so much love into the tiny creature and it would be great if the kitten would actually allow Lisa to.

Lisa pouts, lip quivering. She sniffles.

So, yes, the kitten did bring Lisa to tears, just as Rosie thought it would.

"I think the kitten would be staying with us forever, Joy." Rosie says with a chuckle.

Joy nods.

"I think so, too. And it looks like he and Lisa are a perfect match."

"So it's a boy?" Rosie asks.

"Mhmm," Joy agrees.

Lisa looks up then, addresses both of them.

"I think I'm in love with him, you guys. And I think he's in love with me, too."

The two women laugh.

"We can see that." Joy says. Then she turns to Rosie and hands her a bag of things and a little cat litter. "Here's everything I got for him."

Rosie takes them, smiling in gratitude. She knows it's technically Joy who asked for the favor, but with how happy Lisa is, she feels like she should be the one thanking Joy.

Lisa is even still ignoring them, completely and utterly smitten and fixated with the kitten.

"Thank you," Rosie says.

"No, I should be thanking YOU both," Joy insists. "Everything I got for him is in that bag. I can give you the number of Haetnim's vet, too. Dr. Seojoon is a very very good vet. Very handsome, too, if you want some eye candy." Joy winks.

Rosie laughs.

"Lisa likes women for eye candy, but I'm sure if you recommend him so highly, there's no reason for us to go to anyone else."

Joy smiles then goes in for another hug as goodbye. Rosie accepts it happily.

Lisa seems to finally sense that they're about to go back to their room, so she leans in and gives Joy a one-armed hug, too. They wish each other good night and the roommates take their leave and start walking towards their apartment.

Rosie puts her hand on Lisa's shoulder instead of taking her hand since her best friend is holding her new baby close to her chest with both arms.

After a while, Rosie speaks up and asks Lisa a question.

"So, what do you want to name him?"

"Hmm," Lisa thinks. "I don't know. Something with an L, so his name starts with the same letter as mine."

Rosie nods and thinks. She looks at the kitten again, who is now wide-eyed and staring curiously at both of them. Not fussing or anything, just staring.

"How about, 'Louis'?" Rosie asks. "He looks like a 'Louis' to me. His fur reminds me of the white wig Louis XIV wore because he started going bald."

Lisa laughs.

"Okay, he'll be Louis, then." Lisa declares.

Rosie smiles wide, her eyes forming little crescents on her face.

Lisa looks down at the kitten and coos at him.

"Hello, little Louis. You're gonna be staying with us now and we'll be taking care of you, okay?"

Louis just meows.