03. 𝙛𝙖𝙢𝙞𝙡𝙮

Hawks had told me he'd be gone during the day, but I didn't think that meant all day. He woke me up at what felt like 5:30 in the morning, telling me he was going to work, and then now, at 11pm, the only contact I'd had with him all day was when he dropped in for a solid two minutes to give me 'lunch' and 'dinner.' For me, a six piece and a 10 piece of chicken wasn't lunch or dinner, but I digress.

Knock knock

Huh, didn't know who'd that could be. Couldn't be Hawks, he just flies in from the balcony. I used the peep hole to take a peak as to who was on the other side of the door, though I wouldn't open it even if I did recognize who it was, which I didn't. It was some blond guy with a denim turtleneck that went all the way up to the point where it covered the bottom half of his face... weird. I shook it off and walked my way back to the kitchen, despite his continued knocking.

I thought he'd go away, but the knocking seemed to run in intervals. Every minute I got another thirty seconds of non stop hammering, and after the third and fourth times, I was beyond annoyed. I slammed shut the random book I had stolen off the shelf in an attempt to stay entertained, and stomped my way towards the front door yet again.

"Can I help you?!" I swung open the door, probably a lot tougher than I should have.

"Oh dear it's about time you opened up! Both physically and metaphorically, that is." The tall man rushed past me and into the apartment, seeming to know his way around as he made a beeline for the couch. "Oh! I should introduce myself! I'm a friend of Keigo, he sent me to check on you and tell you he won't be back till late..."

I practically had to jog to the living room to keep up with him. Later than it is already..? Glad to know on my first day here we've only had one interaction, and he's done absolutely nothing to 'help' me. "Keigo?" I questioned, not recognizing the name.

"Oopsies, probably wasn't supposed to say that! You know him as Hawks," he blabbered on, saying something about how girls saying that name bothered Hawks, and how every time one does his feathers basically go limp and droop, or something like that.

"Sorry, who are you, exactly?" The man sat pompously on the couch, both his legs and arms crossed as his chin was held high.

"Oh honey you can call me Jeanist, I work with Hawks. Not directly, since he has his own agency and all, but you get the point. Say, did Kei bring you anything to eat? You know how to cook, don't you? I can go make a grocery run so you can make something. That guys eating habits are horrible oh dear god, I'd hate for you to get roped into that..." the blond continued. I was barely able to get a single word in, and he talked for what seemed like ages.

He told me a bit about himself and his pro hero work, and in return I answered all the oddly investigative questions he had about my family. My siblings, my parents, at one point he even asked about my brothers fiancés parents, since he seemed to know them. The topics we talked about were odd, as was the conversation as a whole, but he seemed to be enjoying himself, and he kept me company, so I wasn't complaining.

"Does... Hawks talk much about his family?" I finally worked up the courage to ask. I was beyond curious about the boy who was basically keeping me captive, and he had told me before that his childhood was rough. I didn't want to ask him about it without reason, and Jeanist and him seemed to be close, so I thought I'd ask.

"Deary no! I know he does hero work so he can pay for the care his sister needs, but other than that... zilch. I don't even know their names, and the only reason I know about his sister is because I accidentally eavesdropped.... oh, I guess I probably shouldn't have mentioned that to you, either." For someone who's mouth I can't even see, he sure does have a big one.

"Yeah you probably shouldn't have." The oh so familiar voice called from the balcony. I swung around to see him standing there, arms crossed over his chest, upset with how Jeanist had blabbed his secrets.

"Ooh! Hawks! I thought you said you wouldn't be back until later..." Jeanist sprung up from where he had been comfortably sitting on the couch. Even though I couldn't exactly see his expression, you could hear the nervousness in his words. "Well then... I'm gonna get going now! Have fun!" He bounced, slamming the door on his way out.

"God... that guy is..." Hawks, or rather, Keigo, said.

"Loose lipped?" I asked, as he wandered from the balcony to the kitchen, shrugging off his jacket and throwing it over the couch mindlessly.

"That is not exactly how I'd say it, but yeah. Did he say anything else stupid?" He began munching on one of the chicken wings I hadn't touched from my 'dinner.'

"He told me your name, but I have a feeling you'd rather me not call you by it." I assumed, pushing myself up to sit on the island.

"Nah." The blond said, momentarily pausing from chomping on his chicken to look up at me . "You're fine... I just hate it when people I'm not close with, or don't even know think they have a right to say it." He leaned back on the counter behind him.

"And we're close?" I laughed, "It's barely been a day."

"Ooh okay then! That means you wanna get to know each other better!" He hopped, clapping his hands together in excitement as his feathers flew around the kitchen, some picking up dishes and putting them in the dishwasher, others clearing the counter, and another grabbing a broom and sweeping.

"No I-"

"Awesome! I'll go first! I'm Keigo, nice to meet ya! Now it's your turn... why don't you tell me about your family?" He sang, as I was clued in to his ulterior motive.

I sighed. I already had to talk about this once before today, which was draining enough, but here we go again. "My dads a prick, my moms a bitch. Four brothers, one sister, they've all got picture perfect lives and jobs."

"And you're the exception to the perfect picture, I'm guessing?" His feathers finished cleaning as he swung around to take his seat on what I assumed to be his favorite stool.

"Bingo." I deadpanned, now studying every nook and cranny of the walls to avoid eye contact. "Your turn~" I cooed, giving him a sarcastic smile."

"Ugh," he said, over exaggerating as he plopped his head down to rest on his arm. "My sister has a chronic illness blah blah blah fell into a coma, when I was young this company offered to pay for her medical bills if I trained under them to become a pro, and here we are! Bada bing bada boom." He spouted, now fidgeting with his hands. I assumed he didn't want to talk about it much, and decided not to pry. He must really care about her if he agreed to all that just to be able to cover her bills. "Anyways! I've gotta get back to work so I'll see you when I get back, alright kid?" Hawks jogged over time the couch, picking up his jacket and shrugging it on, then wandering back to the kitchen to find his gloves, which I assumed he'd taken off before he started eating.

"Oh... alright." I said, hopping off the counter to see him off at the balcony. He put on that tacky visor that I hate so much, before preparing himself for flight. "Hey wait!" I shouted at him. He looked back at me with confusion.

"Huh?"

"When will you be back?" I asked, covering my chest with my arms to lessen the bite of the cold wind.

He smirked. "Soon."