07. 𝙘𝙖𝙡𝙡

I don't know what I expected to wake up to, but hearing my mom scream at someone in the hallways definitely wasn't it. I heard things like 'No! We're taking her home right now! She doesn't need visitors!' And the shocking but somehow yet unsurprising 'she'll live without all of that junk!' Oh how wonderful.

I knew exactly where I was when I woke up, from the beeping of the monitor, and my pain all over, plus the comforting cool of my bare ass cheeks against the bed sheets, it was clear I was in a hospital. I wobbled my head to the side, getting a good view of the setting sun from how high up my room was. I wiggled my toes, starting to explore and determine which injuries I had sustained. With a little ruffling of the sheets, and a painful and poor attempt at sitting up, I was able to get a view of my legs. Only one of my feet was bandaged, and only one of my legs was in a cast, which meant I'd probably been over exaggerating the pain I was feeling earlier.

My mind instantly landed on Hawks. I wasn't worried about myself anymore, instead my mind was going a mile a minute thinking about him. Was he okay? Surely he was... Had he come to visit me? No, no. That was awfully optimistic, and if there was one thing I knew about myself, it's that every time I'd been optimistic about something, it had turned out the exact opposite.

My mother burst into the room, shocked to see my eyes looking back at her. She froze in shock at first, before bursting out shouts of praise, followed by giving me a hug that I really didn't want, and then finally going back into the hall to get the doctor again. I'd done my best to not listen to a word she'd said the whole time she was in my vicinity, which was a skill I acquired over time. Her high pitched voice and even louder volume added to her excitement made my head throb more than it already was, souring the mood I'd created in my head.

The doctor came in, a genuine smile of relief on his face as he joined my mother by my bedside. He sat me up with the click of a button and then started babbling some nonsense and medical terms I surely didn't understand to my mother, though I did catch him say 'seventeen daylong coma' or something like that. Truly, I just wished everyone would go away and leave me alone for a bit. I had an awfully horrible feeling in my gut, as well as a head full of thoughts that sounded much more interesting to sort through than to listen to them blabber.

"Keigo..." I muttered, that being exactly what I was thinking of.

"Don't tell me you're thinking of that creep!" Mom shouted. It caught my attention instantly, and I jerked my head to see her. She stood there, arms crossed and foot tapping the shiny white floor, an agitated face present as she absentmindedly stared at the wall.

Hawks doesn't go around blabbing his given name, so how did she know it? Had he really come to visit me?

"Was he here?" I asked, earnest for an answer. My mother's eyes finally came to meet mine, rolling to the back of her head not shortly after.

She scoffed, "Yeah. He was here every night before I finally kicked him out a week ago."

He was here every night until a week ago..? I almost couldn't believe it, but I could almost picture it in my head, him slumped over in a chair snoring like hell, his body contorting in silly ways as he tried to make himself comfortable. Maybe him even laying that pretty little head of his down on the bed by my side for a rest.

"Why did you kick him out?"

Mother straightened her arms by her side, fists clenched in disbelief, as if her answer was obvious. "Are you kidding?!" the shouting began. "He's a stranger! He had nothing to prove he knew you besides just knowing your favorite food and such. He's probably just some deranged stalker!"

If she thought he was a stalker, then Hawks definitely hadn't mentioned he was a hero. He also used his real name instead of his hero one, did he not want my mom to know who he was? Even if this was all true, as I suspected it was, the real question was, why?

"Ma'am please don't shout, it can cause harm to her fragile cognitive state-" The doctor tried to assist.

"She's my daughter, I'll talk to her as I please, thank you very much." Though she had calmed her voice, she refused to admit she'd taken the advice, probably because of her pride.

"Right, well, then I think it's best we leave her to herself. Patients often have jumbled thoughts and heavy confusion when they first wake up." The doctor said, looking at me in a way that screamed 'I can't believe you put up with this on a daily basis.'

She looked at me, as if to request me to say something so that she could stay, but I stayed silent. With a short but frustrated sigh and another roll of her eyes, my mother had left.

"To give you a quick rundown of what injuries you have," The doctor began, whos nametag I could now tell said Kaminari. He pulled out a pen from his coat, tapping on his clipboard before turning to copy down the numbers from the electronic screen as he spoke. "two broken ribs on the left side, broken femur also on the left side, six fractures in your right foot, five of which have healed, plus a cracked pelvis and a dislocated right shoulder that also healed while you were out."

Holy shit I'm fragile.

"Thank you..." I said sincerely to the bright blond man. He gave me a curt nod in response.

"You'll need physical therapy with most of your healed injuries, I also don't want you doing any physical activity or heavy lifting until your ribs have healed. It can take a couple months before your femur is 100%  well again, so for now only walk for short distances, and always with assistance." He told me. It was depressing to hear, but I thanked him again, and then he left.

Instantly, I started looking around the small room for my purse, finally locating it and straining myself to pull it up to the bed. I shuffled through it, and once I didn't find what I was looking for, I resorted to simply dumping everything out onto my lap. A wave of slight panic and disappointment washed over me as i realized the little red feather Franklin was nowhere to be found.

This time I really needed to get in contact with Hawks, no matter how many people I needed to call to get to him. I was certain he blamed himself for all of my injuries, the way his feathers behaved before I fainted, plus him coming to visit me, only affirmed that. It hurt me knowing that mom had probably put some pretty horrible thoughts in his head when she ran him out, so I knew I'd have to make it right with him as soon as possible.

Lucky for me, though, I happened to know a certain someone who was sure to know how to contact Keigo, and who's office number was accessible through a quick internet search. I wasted no time, grabbing my phone from the pile in front of me and dialing the number I had found. After a bit of convincing the receptionist to at least tell him I was on the line, I finally got through.

"Hello?"

"Jeanist! Its Y/N Sosore, look, I need a favor.."