viii. fashion show

·゜゜·  ·゜゜·.

.·゜゜·  ·゜゜·.

REINA'S POV

I sit cross-legged on Stef's couch, nursing the coffee in my cup as I watch her carry in garment bag after garment bag. This best friend appointment was actually made ahead of time, only by a week, but that's much more than her usual time of two hours. So, I couldn't make many complaints this time.

Or so, I thought.

She finally let out a huff as she threw down the eighth bag, a large stack compiled on her loveseat. "These," she manages to get out through heavy breathes, "are all the dresses you're trying on today."

My eyebrows shoot up, and I quickly sit up to place my coffee cup on the table. "Sorry, what?" Stef nods, clearly not taking notice of the horror I'm sure is displayed on my face. "You invited me over to play dress-up?"

She shoots me an exasperated look. "Just let me explain." I don't say anything, sitting back on the couch with my arms crossed over my chest. Slowly, Stef lifts the last garment bag she tossed on the pile, pulling down the zipper to reveal a royal blue dress that looked way too short for either of us to wear in public. "I went to this wedding expo thingy over the weekend and got some designers to give me their scraps."

My brows knit together in confusion. "Why did you do that?"

"So I can figure out the material, and color I want on my bridesmaids," Stef says excitedly, yanking the garment bag off of the dress entirely. "Dylan is at his parents for a few days, I figured now is the perfect time to pick this stuff so we can turn it into something fun."

I snort. "Right, because nothing is more fun than forcing me to do things against my will." Stef shoots a glare my way. "Okay. Fine. Perky Reina is going to reveal herself, just gimme some wine and she'll be here sooner." 

Stef wastes no time tossing the dress back onto the pile and scurrying out of the room, returning shortly after with two glasses of wine. Clinking our glasses together, I waste no time downing my drink, my head tilting back as the final drops slide down my throat. When I straighten up, I place the empty glass beside my abandoned coffee cup and ignoring Stef's look of surprise, I pick up the first dress from the pile and make my way to the bathroom down the hall.

"Stef!" I call out when I reach the bathroom door.

"Yeah?"

"Play music or something so I don't feel like a total idiot."

"Got it!"

With that, I slide into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. Usually, I wouldn't mind just stripping out of my clothes in her living room and swapping dresses there, but something told me that'd get boring really quickly. At least if I changed clothes in here, it gave me the opportunity to treat this like the fashion show Stef made it out to be by strutting down the hall. On cue, I hear the music I requested begin playing; undoubtedly this is Stef's girls night playlist. I recognize the first song instantly.