xiv. compensation

·゜゜·  ·゜゜·.

゜゜·  ·゜゜·

REINA'S POV

My week has been eventful, to say the least.

My mom, shockingly enough, didn't realize Liana was gone until the next day. How that's possible is unknown to me, because since she's gotten here, I've known where she was at all times, even if it was just in her bedroom upstairs. But when she did find out, I got a very loud phone call which consisted of my mom trying to yell through her tears, while I attempted to calm her down long enough to speak a sentence. One thing to note is that even though she was yelling at me and pleading, not once did she mention coming to my house to come to get Liana back. Which seemed to be the obvious option, considering my mom did know where I live, which means the phone call was just for show. Whether that be a show for me, or for him, is unknown to me. But Liana is still here.

Which leads me to my next issue.

I don't know the first thing about parenting. Which is what this is, even if it is my sister. I'm acting as her parent, something I thought I've been doing my whole life, but I was terribly wrong. I don't know how my mom did this not once, but twice, because one week of being Liana's surrogate mom and I'm exhausted. It isn't Liana's fault, but it's just a lot. I'll be at Stef's for some wedding planning, and the only thing on my mind is whether or not Liana burned down my kitchen while trying to heat up dinner. Or if I'm picking her up from practice, I press a little harder on the gas because the fear of her being out alone at night is too intense to risk even being a minute late. Being a guardian is fucking exhausting, but I don't regret my decision to take on the role.

The only role I'm beginning to regret is my maid of honor one. And that isn't because of Stef or Dylan, but because of Matthew. When Liana invited him to breakfast that day, I felt like I couldn't breathe being in his presence the entire morning. The situation—because that's what it was—we were in before Liana showed up stayed on my mind for hours after it happened. I thought so hard about it that any lingering stare or brush of hands between me and Matthew made me turn a bright red, something I never wanted to happen because of him.

I know myself, and I know Matthew. But what I don't know is what the fuck we're doing here. Before any of this wedding business, he and I barely spoke. Our interactions were short, and usually insulting, but somehow, all that changed as soon as Stef and Dylan decided we were spending more time together. I can't deny it's been easier to be around Matthew now that we aren't at each other's throat all the time, but part of me misses all the fighting. Because rather than fighting, he's...I don't know what he's doing, but it isn't fighting.

But that's the least of my problems.

My current problem is the fact that I'm running late to pick up Liana because she failed to mention she didn't have practice today, so I had to leave my lunch with Stef to go get her. When I pull up to the school, Liana is waiting with a group of girls, but she quickly departs as soon as my car rolls up. The smile she wears fades as she drops into the passenger side seeing as I wasn't smiling.