Chapter Thirteen: Reflections

I arrived in Ringtown feeling a bit tired but determined. I still felt like taking care of some action after today's events. Of all things to encounter, and on my second day, it was not only a legendary beast, but one I've met before. Twice.

     I met Spenser outside the Ranger Base, and when he saw me he greeted me with a swift hug. When he pulled back, he held my shoulders at arm's length and looked concerned. "I'm glad you're ok! What you went through today was unbelievable."

     "Hey, I'm ok! I handled my duties with maturity and finesse. I am mentored by you after all!" He smiled and released me, genuinely glad to see me alright.

     "Ok, then let's head to my place." We went inside the Base and upstairs, back to the Dragonite Bus. I was confused, and he noticed. "Oh, I have a small apartment in Fall City. I don't actually live here."

     "Ah, I see." So for the second time I was in the air flying with Spenser. The Dragonite held us both close together, but I couldn't see any expressions on his face since my hair was in his face the whole time.

     The Dragonite dropped us off in front of the Ranger Base in Fall City and Spenser led me to an apartment building. Once inside I took a good look around to glean what I can from it about its occupant. It was somewhat modern, not very decorated, and didn't seem to be lived in very much. The first room, the living room, had a small couch and coffee table, two lamp tables and a mounted TV. That was it. He invited me to sit on the couch and I waited while he fussed around in his kitchen.

     He called me to him later, and we sat at a dining table in the scantily clad kitchen. He laid out a meal of pasta and meatballs, and to be honest I haven't had any of that in a long time and I suddenly was very hungry.

     "Thank you so much for going out of your way to cook for my visit. It looks delicious!"

     "Not a problem at all. I live here alone and I don't usually cook much, but I make sure to be a good host when I ever have visitors. That's not often, just Joel lately. And Cameron if he feels like making the trip." I laugh at the inherent laziness everyone seems to agree upon but won't directly mention about Cameron.

     "Alright, so," I say as I start to dig into my food, "a deal's a deal. Story-time, Leader. Lay it on me."

     "Hah. You sure are persistent." He wiped his mouth as some sauce got on it, then continued. "Well, my Rookie Mission was a little bit more intense than yours and Lunick's. I had to find a way to clear some fallen debris in the forest with the help of Pokemon."

     "That's intense?" 

     "The entire time I was being chased by a Poochyena, and it had ripped half of my pants off." I bust out laughing. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

     "Is that even true?" I start cleaning the mess I made when I spit from laughing.

     Spenser raised his right arm like in courts. "Ranger's honor, I swear." Now he's cracking up with me. I was laughing so hard I snorted, which immediately made me laugh harder and get red with embarrassment. "Oh, now that's adorable." 

     "You're not helping!" I tried to kick him under the table but I kicked the leg of the table. Luckily we were both laughing too hard and he didn't notice.

     When we calmed down a bit, he motioned to me with his glass. "Alright, your turn."

     "Well, my father was supposedly a Ranger, too."

     "Yeah? Maybe I knew him." His eyes were lit up.

     "I doubt it. He's much older than us and he was from Almia."