Chapter Fifteen: Frosty Treks

Space. The final frontier. I have always been fascinated by it. Learning about the stars and celestial bodies thrilled me to no end, and finding the Space Center in Mossdeep City was one of my favorite moments in Hoenn. Museums always intrigue me, and there's one in Hoenn all about the ocean that I love so much, but the Mossdeep Space Center held my heart. It had a rocket docked in the back and plenty of technology and screens with readings of things unseen above. I got to use the large telescope it had to view gorgeous colorful paintings of the stars and galaxies.

     There's just something about the unknown that makes me want to explore and discover. It ignites a drive in me that not much else can replicate. Believe it or not, I've actually been to space, albeit just barely outside the atmosphere, once. I was on the back of a Pokemon, on a quest to stop a meteor from plummeting to the planet we call home and destroying everything we know. Pokemon really do make our lives so much more interesting. I can't possibly imagine a world without them. 

     I've been deep in the earth into the heart of lava-filled caverns close to the planet's core with Pokemon. I've been to the bottom of the expansive ocean, exploring beauteous coral reefs and deep dark trenches, with Pokemon. I've soared through the skies on the back of a Pokemon, carrying me across vast lands, feeling the cool wind on my face. I've even met and captured an alien Pokemon from that meteor in space after an intense and memorable battle. Pokemon bring us wonders and joy, discoveries and inspiration. Above all, I'm most grateful for the adventures they've brought me and the lessons they taught me. This new path of being a Ranger has proven fruitful so far, and I can not wait to embark on the next road to adventure.

     Which, I thought, was supposed to be taking a submarine through an underwater tunnel.

     The Aquamole was ready and looking super cool, and I was beyond excited to take it beneath the waves. However, the tunnel was shorter than I expected, dark and empty, and nothing happened. Before I knew it, I surfaced in a cold cavern decked in ice, and my only way forward was into the caves. Not what I expected, but being in a submarine was a first. Positive thinking, right?

     Not even a few feet on land, and my feet were crunching on snow. It was definitely more chilly here than elsewhere. We are just to the south of the mountain range that divides the Sinnoh region, so the cold climates around these parts make sense. Doesn't mean I was prepared for it. Now I'm glad my uniform was a little big on me because it provides a little bit of warmth. Meager warmth, but some nonetheless.

     I was greeted by a big burly man who was most definitely dressed for this weather. He wore thick layers and what looked like furs, and it had a somewhat tribal vibe to it. He walked right up to me, so I'm assuming he is meant to escort me through the Panula Cave. "I'm Chris. Follow me." Then he turned right back down the wooden steps to the cave entrance without another word. Doesn't talk much, does he?

     Entering the cave, I could feel it getting colder. There were naturally formed step like cliffs that I climbed, avoiding gusts of wind from Golbat that had quite the agenda of chasing around Rangers. Dancing Jynx were a sight to see, though. At the top of these small cliffs, Chris was waiting. "Hurry." Simple man. Then there was a short quake. Regaining my balance, I look at Chris questioningly. "Lots of tremors lately," he simply said, then turned and went onward. That's reassuring, not.

     It kept getting colder the further we went in, and there were tremors occasionally that got stronger as we traveled inwards. Pretty soon the caves were encased in ice practically everywhere, and the stalactites and stalagmites looked like icicles sprouting from the floor and ceiling. Chris stopped at a cave threshold, and wouldn't move. I gave him another confused look and all he said was, "That Steelix is asleep. It's in the way." I peek through, and sure enough there is a huge metal snake chilling in the middle of the path. Maybe something heavy would awaken it?