Happiness Returns

Days passed by and I grew enough to start a job. Our country won the war and was safe now. The two boys, Rabi and Rashi, became doctors while I worked as a civil officer. We were all happy. By us working, sister stopped her job and did different courses of her choice. It made me really happy that I was able to be useful for her.

When Jem graduated, we decided to go for a picnic to celebrate. But with all that we had now we could never forget our lost parents. Where are they now? How are they doing? I always asked myself these questions. I didn’t want to go for a picnic without them.

One day, when I was in my office, an old man and woman came and told me that they were looking for their two lost children. I asked them the details about their children. To my surprise all the answers described me and my sister! They were OUR PARENTS!

I burst into tears but I did not tell them why I was crying. I wanted to give them a surprise. So I called home and told my sister that I am coming home with some guests. I didn’t tell her who the guests were.

When we reached home, sister had prepared food and all of us had our dinner. At the end of dinner sister asked:
“Quit beating about the bush, Petum. Tell us who they are. I bet someone special! Right?”

“Yes! You are right! They are our parents!”

As I claimed that, everyone stared at each other out of surprise, and the next moment we all burst into happy tears. This was the most awaited happy moment which finally came.

We ate the cake I brought on the way home and next day we finally went on the picnic which we were going when I was nine.