.3.

A single letter, with a few innocent words, could do so much harm, although the intention behind it was quite different

It was already late at night, and yet you could still hear nervous voices echoing through the halls of Malfoy Manor.
"Did you think I wanted a future like this, or a life as Dumbledore's puppet for her? It was the only option I had then, Severus, and you know it. Besides, since when are you interested in her anyway? You didn't even know she exists. " Narcissa Malfoy had reached a point that evening where she would not be nice. She was tired of hearing Severus' accusations over and over again, and she could no longer bear the burden of her worries.

The bad-mooded potion professor stood exhausted in front of the fireplace with his back to the mother of his child. He was tired of all the sleepless nights this situation had brought him and even if he didn't want to admit it, he felt helpless.
A feeling that didn't comfort him at all.

"And that's my fault? Don't you dare question me. And if I must remind you, you know Dumbledore is a man of his word. He's raised her, let her in on his plans and he trusts her with his life. Narcissa, she's top of the school, and she has powers no one knows about. I have never seen someone powerful like her at that age. And no matter what the future holds, he has sealed her destiny. The only thing that'll stop him now is her standing up to him. He underestimated that she'd want to meet her parents someday. Or rather that she is just like us." Severus growled and turned to the witch behind him."I don't care if he has decided her future for himself. We must protect her, Severus. No matter what it takes. Our daughter can't be on the front line. Not with all that's coming our way."

And with this conversation the two parents made a decision. No matter what it would cost, they would protect her, because both knew that the Dark Lord was a greater threat than any wizard could imagine.

1 month later

Hogwarts wasn't what it once was. Umbridge had taken the whole school under her wing. The only people who liked it were some Slytherin students and Filch.
Saphira was sitting in the great hall at dinner when the angry voice of McGonagall was probably heard throughout the castle. Most of the students went out into the corridor to see what was going on, and the young witch did the same.
Umbridge stood on the stairs like an angry bird, trying to make McGonagall agree with her. Saphira loved McGonagall and saw her like a grandmother. Harry, who was standing right next to Saphira, looked at the witch, but immediately looked away when he noticed that Saphira was looking at him too. They had spent the last few weeks in detention with Umbridge. Horrible evenings that always ended very painfully. But unlike Harry, Saphira had the words "Not special" burned into her palm. She hadn't said anything to anyone yet, but after what she had just witnessed, she would have loved to go to Albus. Albus still avoided her, her mother had never answered her, and she didn't want to go to Snape because she was embarrassed. But the pain got worse every day.

Saphira would have no other choice, because the burn was infected and she didn't want to go to Poppy, because then all the teachers would know about it. That would mean to much attention.
So the 17-year-old disappeared down into the dungeon.
She was walking uncertainly back and forth in front of the door of Snape's office and was about to leave when she noticed someone moving in her direction with a waving robe.

"Miss Dumbledore, why are you prowling in confusion outside my office?", his voice was like a cold water stream in Saphiras face and suddenly the witch felt like when she was a child, crying for her mother.
"Professor, I wanted to ask you if you have an ointment for burns and a pain potion for me?"
Saphira was nervous, and immediately regretted going to him.
He just raised an eyebrow and rushed past his daughter. " Follow me. " That's all he said until she was in his rooms.

" Why do you need these things?"
But Saphira didn't answer. Like a little child injured, she stood in front of his desk and stared at the floor. But there was one thing the professor didn't miss. Her right hand was clenched into a fist.
"Stretch out your hand," he said calmly, but with a tone that didn't allow any denials.
Very slowly she reached out her hand and opened her fist. Snape came closer and carefully reached for her hand. She tensed under his touch and Severus wondered at that moment if it would be different if they talked openly.

Severus froze when he saw the reason for her behaviour. A feeling of anger overtook him and he realized why Saphira had always left her sleeves down during the last weeks. He didn't need to ask who was responsible. Only one person in this castle had the cruelty to do such a thing.
He casted a spell over the wound, but the infection was already more advanced than he had guessed. And his diagnostic spell did not tell him anything good. He would inform Narcissa later about this problem.

"I'm sorry, Saphira, but the infection has spread so far it will leave this scar."
The potion professor didn't notice that he called his daughter by her first name what he never did.
But the witch had noticed it and stared at her father in shock.
"You know!",was all she could say. It felt like a dementor had suddenly drawn all the heat out of the dungeon. With a trembling hand, Saphira yanked away and staggered back. Severus just stood there and looked at her confused. "How long have you known?"
Her voice was so soft, yet so filled with sadness that Severus felt more helpless than ever. "Since the summer," was all he could bring out, before Saphira ran out of his office and left him alone.