Dark Dreams

As she walked down the hallway she found her hands touching the walls, trying to feel her way out of the claustrophobic space. Before she made it to the end the door opened up and a bright light blinded her.

"Go away" she heard a woman's voice hiss "If you know what's good for you you'll go away, for good" before Annabelle could see passed the blinding light the door slammed.

The jolt made her sit up with her hand over her heart. It was just a strange dream nothing more nothing less but she could feel it lingering over her.

Lying back down she tried to forget about it, to close her eyes and go back to sleep but she still felt on edge. Pinned by the voice that had screamed at her.

—-

Annabelle was in a foul mood by the time she had gotten ready. Mary could sense it rolling over her as they continued their work in the garden.

As Annabelle began passing Mary the final few plants she wondered where George was. Having been missing since this morning she hoped that Mr Shelby hadn't fired him.

"What happened last night Anna?" Mary asked

Annabelle looked away "Mr Shelby is trying his very best to make it so that I'll leave" she replied back honestly, her bottom lip jutting out a little.

Mary sighed "Don't get upset Anna" she chided "Just remember that you've handled him very well so far"

Annabelle scoffed "What's next Mary? I stood in his office for three hours. Do you not think that's a little cruel?" She blustered as she stood up and dusted down her skirt.

Mary closed her eyes as she waited Anna to tell her she was leaving.

"I was treated like a mere dog. I don't have to stand for this. There are plenty of households that would take me on"

Mary quickly stood up, seeing her chance to win Anna back "I know there are but I need you to stay!"

"I'm sorry Mary, I really did try but"

"I'm not well Anna. I need you here"

Annabelle stumbled back slightly as she looked at the woman in front of her. The first reaction she had was that Mary was lying and using low tactics to keep her there but the look on her face told her she wouldn't.

"Mary!" Annabelle reached out to Mary and grabbed her arm.

"Yes" Mary breathed sadly "I need you here Annabelle. If you're not here then Mr Shelby doesn't stand a chance"

Annabelle couldn't believe how much she cared for the man. Mr Shelby didn't deserve Mary's worry, not one bit.

"He doesn't deserve one" she replied back in a childish whisper.

Mary smiled at Annabelle knowingly before she patted her arm "Please Anna, just stay for me. If you're not happy in a month I will personally ensure you a smooth transition to your new post"

"Okay" she said "But if it gets any worse than last night I am out of here!"

—-

Annabelle felt sick to her stomach when Mary had confirmed that her illness was terminal. When she had asked if Mr Shelby knew Mary had been coy and told her that she hadn't informed him yet.

Together they both walked back into the house to get out of the sudden down pour when Annabelle saw a young man making his way towards them.

"Alright Mary?" He asked with a boyish grin and a toothpick twiddling between his teeth.