Step Back

Seething with himself Tommy stepped out of the car and slammed the door as hard as he could. The loud noise only spurred on his rage as he stormed his way to the front of the house, leaving Annabelle trailing behind.

It was stupid of him to drag her into his families mess. It was stupid of him to demand she stay with him to keep his loneliness at bay. It was tiring feeling so out of touch with himself and second guessing which way to turn.

Whirling around he stopped, she stopped and he regarded her with his cold eyes. As he looked over at her he wanted to scream out in frustration, to bury himself into the wet ground for a moments peace.

Everything was complicated, there was no map to guide him, no plan for him to turn to. Just a beautiful woman waiting for him to say something. It was always beautiful women.

"Don't say a word" he snapped when she took a step forward.

Annabelle glared back but didn't say a word. It was a small mercy to him, to let him feel that he was still in control. Moving forward she gently brushed by him before rushing up the house steps and entering the home.

——

Annabelle spent all evening working through each room, dusting, cleaning and setting rooms that where already immaculate. It didn't matter what she did our how hard she worked she couldn't remove the anger burning her bones.

Having not asked to be kissed she felt as though she was being punished for it. Having not asked to be his emotional crux she knew she was being punished by it.

It was clear to her that he had no real substantial feelings for her and that he was just pouring his guilt into her, filling her up until she spilled over. What would happen when she finally spilled?

It was tiring and she wasn't sure she could do it anymore. After promising herself not to give in she was doubting her inner strength now.

As Annabelle finished up she made her way downstairs quietly, hoping her heeled shoes would not give her away as she walked by his office.

Today the door was open and she could hear him on the phone as she made her way to the kitchen.

"It's fine John....Yes, well what I said still stands" Annabelle stopped and listened "I'm aware of what it looks like"

——

"Come" he demanded once he found her after dinner in the kitchen.

"No" she replied tartly "Sir" and she began placing the cutlery she had just polished back into the kitchen draw, refusing to look over her shoulder him.

"Miss Thorn" he warned as he took another step intro he room.

"Sir. I won't be accompanying you tonight" she said as she turned around and began putting away the napkin rings.

"Just come with me Annabelle" and the way he said her name sounded like it caused him pain.

Slamming down one of the rings she listened as it echoed across the kitchen.

"You should address me as Miss Thorn" she hissed as she closed her eyes, begging for him to disappear.

"I'll address you as I like"

Annabelle snapped her eyes open and tried to see him other than a man who was still madly in love with somebody else but she couldn't. All she saw was a broken human being who was exercising her control and power over her.

"Professional boundaries are in place for a reason" she retorted.

"I think we're past professional boundaries don't you?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. As he watched her he began lighting up cigarette so that his hands had something to do.