deux

(Ishikawa Juno POV)

"Hey! Did you guys hear? The decisions are out in the main campus!" I heard a few students murmur.

"Decisions for what?" I asked out of curiosity.

"You really don't know? For the Autumn Elections, where first-years compete to see who's the best." Hinako explained.

"The selections are organized by the Elite Ten. I heard that most first-years who place on the podium usually end up becoming Elite Ten members," Donato added. "Let's go see if we've been chosen."

The three of us headed to the main campus and saw a large board labelled A and B. I scanned to find my name and my eyes lit up when I saw 'Ishikawa Juno' under Group B.

"Wonderful! Seems like all three of us made it," Donato said with a grin. "Hinako and I are in Group A."

"Oh, it seems like this year's theme for the preliminaries is chicken," Hinako noted. "Which, I don't know is a good thing or bad thing. Chicken is so versatile. We could literally make anything."

"I guess it's a test to see who can bring out the chicken in their dish more," I mused, putting a hand on my chin.

The Autumn Elections would not be held until after summer vacation, so the three of us took the remaining 2 weeks of school to prep for our dishes.

When school ended for summer break, I was glad that I could return to my hometown to see my Grandma and my old friends. I headed towards the train station, but of course, I got lost...again.

As I was frantically searching for the right train, I bumped into someone...again. To my dismay, it was the same salmon-haired guy.

"Hey! Watch-!! Tch, it's the dimwit with the accent again" the boy began.

"Hey! Don't judge! I'm learning how to speak like city people" I let out a curt sigh, "Well anyways, I have to get going, I'm sorry I bumped into you again." I quickly bowed in apology and attempted to carry on, but the boy grabbed my hand.

"That uniform, you're from Totsuki, right?"

"Yes, now can I go please?"

"First-year?"

I huffed in annoyance, "Yes."

"Hmph, I'm surprised a dimwit like you hasn't been expelled yet."

"Dare say that to me again!" I grabbed the boy's collar and threatened to smack him.

"You should have more respect for your seniors," the boy smirked.

"Tch, not if they're this rude!" I retaliated. "Who are you anyway!"

"Shinomiya Kojiro, second-year, 5th seat of the Elite Ten."

"Ha, you're not first!"

"And you're not even part of the Elite Ten," Shinomiya sneered. "At least, I'm the best second-year so far. The higher seats are all taken by third-years."

"Yea yea, whatever." I waved off nonchalantly. "I'm going to miss my train, so I'll be leaving first." 'I hope I never see him again.'

Eventually, I found my way on the train and headed back to my hometown. I thoroughly enjoyed summer break. I was able to fully rest and cool down from Totsuki's rigorous lectures and practical sessions. I was able to catch up with my Grandma and most importantly, finalize the dish I was going to present for the Autumn Elections.

When I got back to school, I only had two days left before the selections would begin. I asked Fumio-san and the rest of my dorm mates for feedback on my dish, and tweaked a few ingredients and spices.