huit

(Ishikawa Juno POV)

[A few years later]

Eventually, I went back to the countryside of Japan and stayed with my grandma for a few years, until Dojima-san visited one fall day.

"Ah, Dojima-san, what brings you here?" I asked as I handed him a cup of tea.

"I'm here on behalf of Senzaemon-dono. He wishes that you'd return to Totsuki as a professor," Dojima-san stated.

"I...don't think I can return to a life of cooking." I began. "I can't even hold a knife without having terrible flashbacks."

"I know that cooking might be a sensitive topic for you, but deep down you're still drawn to it. I can see it in your eyes. Don't worry, Senzaemon-dono suggested that you be a lecturer without the kitchen component."

"I'll think about it." I replied. Deep down, I really did want to return to the cooking scene, but I really wasn't sure.

"Also, I almost forgot to mention, Totsuki made sure that your incident went unnoticed by the news, so not many people know about it." Dojima-san said as he put on his hat and headed out.

I mused over the prospect of becoming a professor at Totsuki. Would I be able to teach well? Can I really come back to the cooking world?

Eventually I decided to take up the offer. I headed to Totsuki and settled in as a teacher.

"All the paperwork that needs to be done is submitted. You're good to go," a Totsuki secretary worker nodded to me and showed me to the door. "However, the faculty dorm room you'll be staying in is still being prepared, so if you don't mind, could you stay in one of the student dorms for the time being? I apologize for the inconvenience"

"Ah, that will be fine. Thank you." I bowed and headed out. I went out a little ways from the main campus to the dorm where it all started: Polar Star Dormitory.

I opened the door gently with a creak. "Fumio-san?"

"Who is it?" Fumio-san came in from one of the rooms. "Oh, Juno! It's been such a long time. I heard what happened and I'm glad you're back."

I dropped my belongings and hugged her with all my might. "I'm glad to be back."

Over the next few weeks, I settled in at the Polar Star Dorm. I insisted that I stay since it was the most comfortable for me. I was also assigned to teach French Cooking 101 and Food Science 202.

[Totsuki lecture hall]

As I went out of the lecture hall, binder and laptop in hand, I decided to take a trip around Totsuki for old time's sake. A lot changed, but eventually, my feet led me to an all too familiar kitchen. It was the one where Shinomiya and I cooked together.

[Flashback]

"Oi you dimwit! The souffle is overcooked and sunk again! Didn't I tell you to listen and watch for the timing?!" Shinomiya scolded with a giant irk mark on his face.

"ARHHHGGGHH" I grabbed my hair in frustration. I had cooked about 20 failed souffles.

"Again." Shinomiya demanded.

I heaved a big sigh. "Yes chef."

"Tch, I can't believe the Third Seat can't even cook a proper souffle." Shinomiya criticized.

"Hey! I can make a basic souffle fine, but this recette you gave me is too complicated. Everything in this savory souffle has different prepwork and timing."

I began the heating process again and waited. Some moments of silence passed between us until I spoke up. "Hey, Shinomiya-senpai, why are you even teaching me in the first place? Don't you have something better to do?"

He sighed. "It's only until a few months when I graduate, so you're going to be the next First Seat. I have to make sure that you'll be able to fill the spot."

"Awwwh so you do care about me!" I squealed.

He grabbed my face in annoyance. "Don't be taking my kindness for granted."

We then went back to more moments of silence. The souffle was nearing its completion and I didn't want to overcook it yet again. I intently waited for the smell and took it out when the timing was right.

My heart thumped when Shinomiya took a bite out of it and prayed that I wouldn't have to make another one.

"Good. This one passes." Shinomiya approved.

"YAAAAAAAS" I pumped my fists in the air. I can finally go home.

Shinomiya lightly karate chopped my head. "Dimwit, this is only a small achievement."

"But it's still an achievement nonetheless" I grinned.

Shinomiya let out a puff of annoyance but I saw a hint of a smile.

[Flashback 2]

"Arhhggh we're gonna be pulling an all nighter today," I whined as I pushed open the kitchen doors. We had two more days to finish preparing for a VIP banquet and we had five more dishes to test.

"Not if you just keep up with me slowpoke." Shinomiya teased.

"Hey! Take that back! You're the one with overly fancy recipes."

We began testing and cooking; I was able to keep up with him most of the time. Three out of five dishes were completed and we decided to take a small break by sitting on the floor and drinking some tea.

"Shinomiya-senpai." I began.

"What is it?" Shinomiya nonchalantly replied.

"Are you really going to France to open up a new restaurant?"

"Why are you asking the obvious? Of course I am."

"I...I'll miss you, ya know?"

Shinomiya held back a laugh. "How sentimental."

"Hey! I mean it alright!"

"Then would you like to join me after you graduate?"

A few seconds of silence passed before his offer registered in my brain. "Wait what?"

"Tch, dimwit. If you didn't hear it then nevermind."

"Then can I really become your sous chef?"

Shinomiya gave me a smirk. "If you can keep up with me." He offered me his hand and pulled me up. "Let's continue testing."

[Present time]

I touched the kitchen table and walked around. A few tears threatened to fall from my eyes but I kept them in. 'Shinomiya...I miss you..so much and I'm so so sorry.'

A/N: A shorter chapter, but I thought this was a good place to stop haha. I'm trying to speed up to where the anime actually starts and it feels awkward to have multiple time skips in the same chapter.