4. Welcome

New places can be so much fun. Depending on where you go. New homes are great because you get a clean slate somewhere you've never lived. And maybe you change schools, meaning no one knows you or what you're capable of. It can all be very welcoming. At the same time, new places just mean new nightmares...

~@~

A man sits in a chair behind a desk, many screens before him. "Send a dispatch out to Southern Road, I'll send a list of addresses," he says into a radio. The voice on the other end comes in statically.

"Ok. Dispatcher F4 is on it's way, should arrive promptly with 3 kids to Base H." The Recruiter nods, going through papers as phones ring in the spaces around him and people pick up phones, talking to parents or the Tower.

~|~

An unmarked vehicle drives around a neighborhood, picking up kids. With three kids in, her radio goes off. The Recruiter's voice comes in, "I'm adding a new address to the list."

"Ok make it quick I'm about to leave the neighborhood."

"Yeah, sure thing. Also, this one is rare, the last house you'll be picking up a 13 year old female with already developed abilities. Her guardians described her abilities to be able to manipulate heat, so be careful with this one," he says informatively. The kids in the back, shift uncomfortably. Not knowing how it would effect them.

The woman paused at a stop sign, looking both ways before making a right turn. "Are we allowed to take her? Isn't that STYA's job?" she asked, confused.

"Normally it is, but it's been approved by the tower so head that way. It said she won't have any possessions, just a necklace that they insist stay with her. Dunno why though." The Dispatcher looks at the kids who stare blankly out of the windows.

"Ok, I'm on it," she says, heading towards the new address.

"Fair warning, you may need to take extra precaution if she resists. I'll have back up on stand by if you need it." The woman grins to herself and pulls off the road. Thankfully she was close to the house.

"Thanks. And I'll call if back up if needed. See you on the flip side."

~@~

A few weeks ago, I found out that I could do something amazing. Only problem, is what I can do is dangerous. I nearly killed a woman, possibly and could've severely burned my dad. Or my mom.

I know I don't have the world's best pick in father figures, but he's mine. For the most part. Mom came clean to dad about an affair she had about 13 years ago. Around the time I was born. He seemed really upset, but didn't hurt her. And so far, life has been happy. I haven't been hurt since that night. And neither has mom, which is an improvement for dad. He's also tried to cut back on how much he drinks.

"Mel?" my dad calls. My head snaps towards the stairway in my room. He smiles at me and I smile back. "You ready?" I nod. Dad said I'm going somewhere to help with my ability. Seeings how I nearly burned down our house three times, I think it's for the best.

"Okay. I've got my stuff. How long will I be gone?" I ask. He shrugs and kisses my forehead.

"Dunno Hummingbird," he says. I groan and poke his side. He laughs as I grab my suitcase. "You won't need that love. The place said they already have clothes and whatnot."

"Oh. Really? But I really want my stuff. Like the book Jake gave me," I whine. He embraces me tightly, making me flinch.

"Sorry Hummingbird." He let's go and my hand moves to the necklace my brother gave me for my 6th birthday. It has a mini candle on it.