..:: I'm Still Here ::..

You always tried to be strong; to empower others, and fill them with confidence. Always trying to be the ray of sunshine in other people's lives, especially Toshinori's. You've been his biggest supporter from the beginning, making sure he knew that you loved him and you never would stop loving him. Today though, you didn't feel like a ray of sunshine at all anymore. You felt empty, like a wilted flower, self doubt being the only form of thoughts invading your mind. Your light... it was gone.
Standing in Toshinori's kitchen, you leaned on the counter and sobbed openly, letting your tears fall to the marble counter top. He wasn't home currently, having gone to get a few things before he planned to spend the rest of his day with you. While he was gone though was when the demons inside your head spoke up, and you could do nothing but cry. Those negative feelings have truthfully been piling up inside of you for days now, you having barely eaten due to the harsh feelings you felt. That's why you stood in the kitchen, trying to force feed yourself bread while you cried, knowing full well that three days of not eating was slowly hurting you.
Pounding your fist on the counter, you weakly muttered the word 'fuck' as you found it incredibly difficult to even get a single piece of bread in your system. You just couldn't do it, and you cried harder as you thought yourself a failure, leaving a small puddle of tears on the counter.
"I hate myself. I can;t do anything right." you sobbed quietly. "My life is just a joke. Everyone's probably just pretending to like me. I was never worth it. I'm just a fuck up who can't even feed herself." You muttered on, losing yourself to the demons with your head in your hands.
While leaning on the counter, you heard the doorknob to the house jiggle and turn, indicating that Toshinori had returned home. You panicked, not wanting him to see you like this in his own kitchen. Hurriedly you wiped your tears away with your sleeve and blew your nose out in the sink, trying your best to look normal so that you wouldn't worry him.
"Hey _______! I'm back!" Toshinori greeted, filled with pep as he locked the door behind him.
"Welcome back!" You replied, forcing a smile.
"I got us some snacks for tonight!" He told you, setting the bags he held down on the kitchen table. "I was thinking maybe we could have a movie night of sorts and-" He paused, having turned to look at you. "_______, are you alright?" He then asked, having a strong feeling that something was indeed wrong.
"Hmm? Yeah, I'm fine! Why do you ask?" You said innocently.
Even your voice sounded off to him, and a look of growing concern filled his expression. "_______, not to be rude, but I don't think you're being a hundred percent honest with me. Your eyes.... They're red and puffy." He pointed out, slowly approaching you.
"They are? Huh, must be allergies or something." You replied once again, denying that anything was wrong. "Really, I'm fine. I'm fine. I promise that I'm fine." You then emphasized, your voice getting shakier the longer you spoke.
"_______..." He spoke quietly, reaching a hand out to you.
Just the simple act of Toshinori showing concern triggered your subconscious, and made it even more difficult to keep your voice steady and hold the tears back. It was always when someone asked that it got hard to maintain composure.
"I said I'm fine! I'm fine, just fine. I'm fine I'm..."
In the midst of you insisting that nothing was wrong, Toshi took the extra couple of steps forward and wrapped his arms around you in a comforting and understanding hug. Pulled close against his chest, tears slowly forced their way to your water line, and your voice broke into a whimper that had been trying to break past your composure for so long. "I'm not fine. I'm not. I was never fine..." You whimpered, your tears finally falling once again.
All you could do was sob, your doubtful and angry thoughts having got the best of you. Crying in Toshinori's arms in the middle of his kitchen, as embarrassing as it was, it had to be done. Gripping tight to his shirt, your tears soaked the fabric as you pressed your face into his chest, him rubbing gentle circles on your back as you cried. He let you weep until no more tears would come, and you were left with only shaky breaths. You were calmer now, so he finally spoke to you once again now that you weren't laden with tears.
"What's wrong, sunflower? What has you so hurt?" He asked calmly in a low, soothing voice.
Wiping your eyes with your sleeve once again, you looked up at him as your waterline gradually filled with tears, none of them falling just yet. "I just... I don't feel... Worth it..." You told him quietly.
"Oh ______, why on earth would you feel that way?" He asked, feeling worried for you.Toshi then guided you with him out to the living room, lying himself down on the couch with open arms. "Come here." He told you, pulling you down on top of him when you nodded and held you close in his arms. "Tell me, why would you think such a thing of yourself?"
"Just... When I'm compared to everyone else, I'm honestly just a half assed hero. I haven't been able to do anything as extraordinary as the top ten. I don't even know why they gave me my hero license. Hell, I don't even know why you love a failure like me-"
Toshinori silenced your rambling with a kiss, having taken hold of your chin and pulling you closer to his face. When he parted from you, he gazed into your eyes with a sympathetic look, squeezing your waist with his other hand.
"_______, you're the sole person that pulled me from my darkest place. You were the first person to love me for who I am, and you refused to let me hate myself. You've done so much for me, so now it's time I did all I can for you. It's my turn." He started, taking a long pause..
During that pause, he let go of your chin and began to slowly stroke your hair to calm you, as you were giving him a look of bewilderment. He sighed deeply and looked at you lovingly, knowing he was the only thing that would be able to save you from your demons.
"You are my world, hun. You need to realize exactly how important you are to others, especially me. You are my light, my reason for living, and my hero. Your unconditional love saved me, and I will never forget that moment of my life. Who cares if you're not in the top ten heroes? Certainly not the people that you saved, because they're just happy to be alive thanks to you. Same goes for me too. I love you so much _______, and I;ll never let you go." He told you, squeezing you tightly. "I'm still here, and I always will be."
You began to cry again after hearing his words, your tears gentle and full of gratefulness. Toshinori gently rubbed your back as you silently cried, snuggling up close to him and shoving your arms underneath him to hold him tight.
"Toshi..." You mumbled.
"Yes?"
"Thank you. I... Didn't know I needed to hear all that." You told him, ceasing your tears.
He chuckled, happy to have made a meaningful impact on you. "It was my turn to save you. Even the strongest of souls need saving sometimes. I'll always be your hero _______. You're my beautiful sunflower, and I'll do anything to make sure you've got a smile on your face."
For the first time in three long days, you genuinely smiled, having all your negative thoughts lifted from your chest. Inching forward, you placed your lips upon his as a thank you, getting butterflies in your stomach as you locked lips a couple times more before resting your head on his chest, melting into his grasp.
"Toshi, can we stay like this for a little bit? I feel... at home in your arms. I want to feel it a little longer." You asked innocently.
"Of course." He sighed happily. "Anything to keep your demons at bay, my sunflower."
Finally feeling better, he held you close and let you relax, your breath slowing and the rise and fall of your chest soon matching his. You didn't know that you needed saving, but you're glad he was able to read you and pull you from the darkness. He was here for you, just as you were there for him.
Your number one hero in your heart, forever.