-five-

immediately, george recognized just how tall the person was when he wasn't peeking at them through a window and alternatively was sat helplessly in front of them.

George began to back up somewhat, still taking caution to avoid damaging the wildflowers his palms threatened to press upon. He didn't utter a word, he simply stared.

The masked individual rested down crisscross in front of him. They sat in silence for what seemed like ages but was really only but ten seconds. George was striving to form a sentence, except he was essentially too confused to actually do that.

"Hey."

It was unsettling—distinguishing a voice arising from a mask with a mouth that never moved. George didn't respond. He didn't know who this person was and he positively wasn't that stupid.

The person inched a little closer and readjusted his position. "Gonna answer? Or are you just going to keep staring?" George shook his head, eyes wide with uncertainty, and backed up in response to him getting closer.

"I- I-, no?"

"But you just did."

A scoff was delivered as a reply. "Who are you?" Instead of George receiving a simple answer, the masked man reached his right hand out, asking without words to shake George's hand. It was bound tightly with ivory white bandages, giving off an unusual sense of mysteriousness, and was visibly larger than George's.

The prince's hand lingered nervously at his side, his other propping himself up in the greenery. "If you don't tell me who you are right now, I'm informing guards immediatel-" "Dream."

He got his answer.

"Excuse me, what?"

"It's Dream. My name."

George's intense nervousness wore into hesitant curiosity. "I... don't mean to sound arrogant but... Is that... is that your real name?" He still couldn't stare directly into the beady eyes of the mask. His gaze was instead on his own fingers. "Mhmm." Dream hummed in rejoinder, not a trace of disbelief lacing his tone.

It crashed over George like a tidal wave that he was speaking to a potential criminal in the royal grounds. However, he hadn't hurt him yet. "Oh... That's," he hesitated, scanning for a word that wouldn't offend, "unique." George glimpsed behind himself, wordlessly searching for a guard in sight.

The stillness was uncomfortable and stagnant until Dream decided to break it again, finally lowering the hand that George never took to shake. "And yours is basic. I've met a million people named George. And they're all pricks. At least mine has personality." Though Dream was venturing to make light of the conversation and allow himself to make a sarcastic joke, George didn't pick up on the tone. "What?"

Dream waited in silence for George to begin the next topic of disturbing conversation.

George didn't like this. "How the hell do you know my name, anyway?"

The smiley mask ridiculed him. "You're the prince. It would be stranger if I didn't."

A nod of realization arose from the prince. "Ah, that is true. My apologies. But who are you, really? Why are you here?" The concern had dissolved into pure confusion.

Before Dream could react, his attention drifted to a guard at the very edge of the meadow looking to notify George that it was time to return. He rapidly readjusted his mask and raced off without leaving a verbal answer for George. However, his sudden escape was enough of an answer in itself for George.

---

Later that evening, George had been left to his own thoughts again. His mind wouldn't let go of the encounter, which was reasonable seeing as nothing had ever happened like it before. Luckily, nobody had directly come across them chatting. The entire castle's security would go up in flames of rage and confusion.

Dream didn't seem particularly dangerous. He definitely possessed the capacity to be, but he never ended up hurting George. He found himself unable to stop querying about what his intentions were, and if he'd be back.

George sat desolately at his windowpane, observing the stars twinkle like they were loudly mocking him. They were so free, he was so cemented. He resented it.