-ten-

there was only a sheer layer of foliage between the desolate prince and an abundance of people who wanted what he had.

George sometimes wished the townspeople that fantasized about living a life such as his would actually get the chance to endure it. He wanted to switch with them. He'd get what he desired and they would learn that what sparkles like a delicate jewel is nothing but stringent commands and dizzying solitude with nobody but your walls and the stars to talk to.

His concern shifted from fear of not wanting to return at all to being recognized. "What happens if someone notices me? My parents are sure to find out, there's no possible way they wouldn't," George pouted, second-guessing their little escapade.

"No worries, I always come prepared," Dream drew a familiar object out from a pack fastened to his belt, "I doubt anyone would think twice about it, but I understand your worry." He handed George a mask.

It looked just like his, except this one was frowning. George wondered why it was so blue. Like him.

As George examined the pessimistic mask, a heavy piece of fabric fell upon his shoulders. At first, startled distress sparked in his chest, but he quickly understood it was just a cloak. Dream fastened the clip and stood back to look at George. "Normally I'd have an extra cloak but I don't have everything I usually do with me right now. Too much to carry, y'know?"

George awkwardly nodded.

"Alright, now put on the mask and let's get going!" Even though his face was covered, George could tell he was smiling.

Dream stood back and waited for George to step out into the market first. The prince took a deep breath and did just that.

---

The world instantly seemed more alive. Colors were more vivid, noises meshed together like gauze, the bustling square felt welcoming. George felt more at ease knowing he was disguised and free to do as he pleased. Dozens of travelers passed through the townsquare every month, so seeing individuals dressed like the prince and the assassin wasn't too unusual.

He didn't know what to do first. George didn't exactly know where things were; he had only ever been to the bakery with his father. He gazed up to Dream, his cynical smile gawking right back at George's dismal frown. "Well?" Dream asked, looking back at the shop signs. "You can read, right?" he joked, George bleakly rolling his eyes under the mask and starting to wander, evading gatherings of people crowded around street performers or road merchants.

Eventually, they came upon a shop that held one of George's favorite things. A flower shop. A shop that marketed items to the public that George always had access to. Items that George felt an attachment like no other to. It was anticipated as he eagerly rushed in through the door, a tiny bell signaling his presence.

However, the flowers weren't what immediately caught George's attention.

It was the cashier.

He instantly raced over from behind the counter, seemingly delighted to see a potential customer. Cordiality resonated from him, his radiant smile beaming. He had pointed teeth, but it was evident he'd never use them.

Dream read "Fundy" on the small white nametag that was pinned to his work uniform. He had pointed reddish ears and a tail. It wasn't often anymore you'd come across someone that wasn't entirely human. Dream only knew one person like him, and he never wanted to be around them. Negative association polluted his and Fundy's first interaction.

"My name is Fundy, it's a pleasure to meet you! Have you come for anything specific?" His tail darted playfully behind him as he held out his hand.