Chapter Nineteen: The Dance

It was finally the day of the dance and the day before they graduated.

There had been no classes held on the day of the dance, at least for the Seventh years. So far, the day had just been an anxious wait for the dance, for Hermione and Ginny anyways. The day seemed to last for forever. "Well, look who we have here, Draco." Harry said, sounding as arrogant as ever, as he and Draco walked up behind Ginny and Hermione. "Hello boys." Ginny smiled as she wrapped an arm tightly around Harry's waist. "Hey Dracie." Hermione said as she gave Draco a small half hug. Draco smiled softly. "Hello, love." He said happily as he wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer. Hermione smirked and patted him on the head like a dog. Draco frowned playfully at her. "Good boy." Hermione cooed sarcastically. Draco scowled at her. She dodged out of his way as he attempted to grab the hand that was still patting his head. Hermione collided with Harry in her hurry to escape Draco. Harry fell on top of Ginny and Hermione landed on Harry. Draco laughed. "It's a sandwich!" Hermione grabbed his leg, knocking him off balance, and he fell on top of the others. Everyone else in the corridor laughed as Draco's face turned a bright red. Draco scurried up on to his feet, dragging Hermione up with him. His face was still a dark crimson as he, Harry, Ginny, and Hermione quickly exited the corridor. Ginny's face was as red as her hair but Harry and Hermione were laughing at them. Ginny scowled at both of them. Draco's frown suddenly turned into a mischievous grin as he looked slowly at Ginny. Ginny nodded slyly before turning to Harry and Hermione. They gulped. "Run!" Harry screamed. They took off running as Draco and Ginny began chasing them. A little while later, it was late enough for Ginny and Hermione to get ready for the dance. Ginny's dress was a light blue with flowers growing up the bottom of it. It was an off the shoulder and it was floor length. Ginny looked like the fierce, red headed version of Cinderella. But Hermione's dress was a dark red. It didn't have any sleeves and it was made of a silk like material. "Harry is going to love you!" Hermione exclaimed excitedly as she curled Ginny's hair. Ginny blushed. "Oh shut up, Mione." Hermione laughed. Ginny stared at Hermione's reflection in the mirror. Hermione noticed her stare. "What is it, Gin?" She asked, concern lacing her voice. "Do you feel... nervous?" Ginny asked quietly. Hermione nodded slowly. "A lot. It feels like my heart is about to jump out of my chest." She admitted to her friend. "But everything's going to be alright! We have the hottest boys in Hogwarts as our dates. What could go wrong?" Ginny laughed at Hermione's optimism. Finally, they were ready. And not a moment too late either! They were just on time. Draco and Harry stared open mouthed as their girls made their ways down the stairs. "Hey, Harry." Ginny said confidently, all traces of earlier nerves had vanished. Ginny's face now displayed the picture of confidence. Hermione was probably the only person that could see how nervous her friend actually was. "Hey, Gin." Harry exclaimed excitedly. "Are you gals ready to go." Draco asked as he took Hermione's hand in his. The girls nodded. Together the group headed down the corridors. They were all silent as they walked but they could feel the tension and excitement radiating off of one another. The silence didn't even feel awkward. Finally, they made it to the Great Hall. The Great Hall was decorated like spring! Pink cherry tree blossoms fell from the ceiling and the ceiling was covered in branches! It looked amazing! Harry immediately led Ginny to the center of the room where several couples were already dancing away. Hermione and Draco, however, found a table to sit at and talk. But once a slow song started Draco led Hermione to the dance floor. They waltzed for several minutes before dinner started. The group found a table that seated four and ate together happily. They all told about the embarrassing moments in the years before their seventh year. After dinner, Draco stood up from the table and offered a hand to Hermione. "Would you like to walk with me, Mione?" His facial expression made it very clear that he only wanted Hermione to come with him. Hermione nodded slowly. She could see the tension in his shoulders. He smiled and took her hand. With Hermione in tow, he walked to the grounds, which had been transformed into a rose garden. Once they stopped walking, Draco stared silently up at the stars. "What is it Dracie?" Hermione asked after a long wait in silence. Draco looked at her. His expression revealed nothing but a restless fear. Hermione waited. "I know that I'm not the one your family or friends want you to end up with." He whispered. She stared in shock. She had not expected this. "But," he continued. "I will do everything in my power to keep you. As long as you want me too." He smiled gently at Hermione. "After we leave Hogwarts we can do whatever you want us to do." He promised. Hermione's eyes filled with tears, happy ones. She hugged his waist tightly as the tears stained his tuxedo. He stroked her hair softly. "I love you Mione." His voice cracked just the tiniest bit. "I love you too." Hermione replied as she planted a kiss on his forehead. They stood there, watching the stars together, for a long time. After all, this was their last day at Hogwarts.