The Resurrectionist, or an Existential Crisis in C#

'Are you sure about this?' Gerard asked. They were outside the building the doctor had sent them to. 'You don't have to do it, if you don't want to.'

'I told you already.'

'I just don't want you to be uncomfortable.'

'I'm not. I really want to get better.'

Gerard had called the therapist ahead to make an appointment, and when they walked in, the receptionist seemed to be waiting for them. 'Take a seat, Dr. Roberts will be with you shortly,' she said.

'Well, already did,' Frank said under his breath, and went to the corner, followed by Gerard, who tried not to laugh.

'Are you nervous?' he asked.

'You mean, am I nervous about physical therapy, months after I quit, not sure if it's going to help one bit? Why would I?'

Gerard loved his sarcasm, and how he always found humor in his tragedies. And how he was smiling more lately. He liked to think he was responsible for that. 'You'll do just fine.'

'I don't know.' Frank went from making jokes to being insecure and anxious in two seconds. Gerard took his hand, reminding him that he was not alone, and that they were doing it together.

'Good morning, Mr. Iero,' Dr. Roberts said, approaching, and they quickly let go of each other's hands, without thinking twice. 'Nice to meet you. I'm Dr. Philip Roberts.'

'Frank,' he said. 'This is Gerard. He's my – nurse.'

'Nice to meet you,' Gerard continued, knowing he was blushing.

'Shall we?' They followed him to his office at the end of the corridor, and Dr. Roberts told them his doctor sent him his files, and the results of his last tests.

'Is there any hope?' Frank asked. 'Do I have a chance to walk again?'

There was a long silence, and Frank did his best not to cry. Gerard reached for his hand, and held it, hiding behind the desk. 'Look,' Dr. Roberts said. 'I don't want to lie to you. The chances are not that great. But it's not impossible.'

That was all Frank needed.

They had told him it was a miracle he survived, even though he wasn't sure that was good news.

Dr. Roberts showed them the X-Rays, and told them where the injury was, and what was the plan with his therapy. Three hours once a week, and with the help of Gerard he could do more exercises at home. 'So – what do you say? You're in?'

'I'm in.'

With the help of a nurse, he was taken to an examination room, where they took more tests, and checked his reflex response, took notes of everything. 'When do you want to start?'

'As soon as possible,' Frank said as Gerard helped him back in the chair.

'Is tomorrow okay? We have a last minute opening.'

'Yeah.'

After a long night of not sleeping and Frank being anxious, they were up at six in the morning, and off to the rehab center. Gerard stopped for coffee on their way.

Frank would be excited about it, though he would never admit it, if it wasn't for the fact it was too early to be awake, let alone, doing any physical activity.

The nurse took them to the locker room, and Gerard helped him into his shorts. 'You'll get better, I know it,' he said. 'You're too stubborn to give up.'

Frank faked a smiled, biting his tongue to avoid mentioning he had given up once, not long ago, and that he could still not get better. But he refused to lose hope so soon.

Gerard took him to the main room, which was full of mats and balls of all sizes, among other equipment, and one of the therapists helped Frank lie on a mat. Gerard just stood nearby, watching what they were doing. The therapists pushed one of his legs up, and then back down, and then back up. Gerard tried not to think how that looked similar to what they were doing the night before, and by the blush on Frank's face, he knew he was thinking the same thing.

At some point, it got painful. 'Gee,' Frank called, and Gerard ran to sit next to him and held his hand. 'Now it's better. Keep going,' he said to the therapist.

It went slow, since it was the first day, mostly exercises to see what had to be done.

And yet, Frank was beat by the end of it, and didn't even want to change back into his clothes. 'How did it feel?'

'Painful?'

'But it'll be worth it.'

'It better.'

When they made it home, Gerard took him straight to the bathtub, and then to the living room, where the kids were waiting for him to watch a movie. 'Addams Family?' he asked, and the kids cheered because that was a favorite.

Jamia had ordered pizza, as a reward for Frank being back in therapy.

Gerard got up, to do his own thing. He had to do laundry and do some calls. But he didn't get that far. 'Mr. Gerard,' Lola said. 'You can stay too. You're part of the family.'

Frank and Gerard shared a look, smiling at each other. 'C'mon!' The nurse sat by his boyfriend, and they held hands as the movie started. Soon Mason snuggled next to him. Gerard did his best not to tear up at the sight of his new family.

Jamia sat by the end of the couch, just smiling at the scene, and Frank mouthed a thank you to her. He had never been that happy.