Prologue

As the first rays of light appeared, I could see a bead of blue mixed with condensed green blotches. There were faint hints of white and grey scattered around the orb, as if shielding it from the vastness of everything. Or maybe the neutral shades were shielding it from the minuscule lights that burned with tremendous intensity. 

In this place, I could feel nothing, as if I was dreaming. I could hear the calming sound of waves rolling over the sand. Birds were chirping, leaves were rustling, and people were laughing. I haven't heard such a pure, carefree noise in a while.

Ever since I vowed to protect my planet, I have only had pain, grief, not to mention longing despite the many moments that made my life feel complete. Those are the moments I wish to have never experienced, as they were a slight taste of what I could only dream of having. I always dreamed of finding a husband to grow old with, starting a family, and living my life, but my destiny was to rest in peace after defending my nation while being stranded in space. 

This was not an illusion. It was a reality. A reality I made for myself, after choosing to sacrifice my freedom to become a beacon of hope for the oppressed. It was a choice to ensure that the life of my people would continue, even if mine would have to end. 

Yet, had I known the fate in store for me, would I still have surrendered everything I worked so hard to rebuild? If I knew I had to live like this for centuries, would I be content with my choices? To this day, I remain unsure. My name may be forever remembered as a hero, but it will never make up for my greatest loss.