Chapter 2: Coping with Loneliness Cont'd

Following my words, I heard the light tapping of a hove. An antelope descended from the rocks, approaching the water to take a drink. Seeing the opportunity finally present itself, I quietly drew the sword from its sheath, allowing it to transform into a bow. With my free hand, I used my powers to create an arrow. 

Once the violet energy took its form, I aligned it to where it had to be, pulling the arrow back before releasing it. Soaring through the air, it pierced through the antelope's neck, causing it to collapse on the spot. Feeling certain that the animal was dead, I slid down the tree. Coming closer, I could tell the creature had recently grown out of its infancy and entered adulthood.

"I am sorry," I told the animal, petting its head as the arrow disappeared. "If I could, I would not have done this to you."

A couple trickles of blood slide down the animal's body, falling to the ground, staining the gold sand, along with dripping in the crystal clear liquid. I pulled the mammal from the water to avoid more of its blood polluting the fresh fluid. 

Then, with my powers, I made a large clay vase appear, filling it with water from a spot far enough from where the drops of blood seeped into. Placing the heavy jar on my shoulder, I used my other hand to grab the antelope to sling it over my shoulder. To avoid staining my clothes, I turned the animal so the wound would face away from my body.

If I was doing this before the attack, I would have used my magic to either shrink the items or carry them for me. Now, I am too scared to overexert myself. My lack of using my mystical abilities was a precaution for if I ran into those demons. In which case, I would require as much energy as I could muster to escape in one piece. 

In some way, I was grateful for my choice of putting a little more energy into carrying my food myself. Even though my body had become thin enough for my clothes to become loose, my arms and legs had gained a tad more muscle. My added strength could help me pack a punch if I ever had to use it in combat.

At long last, I reached home, skinning the antelope. I kept the creature's fur aside to use during my spare time for when I wanted to make a coat to wear. I also removed the antlers to be used as weapon if I ever needed to use them. Searching the cupboards, I found a jar of leftover spice that would be sufficient for one meal. 

Sprinkling it over the meat, I let the spices sink into the food. Meanwhile, I used a pestle and a mortar to grind the herbs I found along the journey back from my hunting spot a few days ago. The dried leaves sent a subtle aroma that left me nostalgic. Recalling my life in the castle, I pictured my father bringing home a deer, which our castle servants would cook into a delectable dish. I could still feel the piquant taste in my mouth.

Pouring the grounded powder into the jar, I decided to go to my favourite spot in my home. Walking through the tunnel I once treaded when I was first brought here, the candles illuminated themselves upon sensing my presence. The photo of my parents and I was moved from the dining area to the end of the tunnel. Below the adorned frame were rows of candles I made from beeswax, that also stood along the sides of the cave walls. 

Each of them signified a family who perished in the attack. Unlike the candles that were lit when I would walk by, the flames on these were always burning. When I made these candles, I placed a spell on each one of them, so they would only emit a floral aroma instead of smoke that would eventually kill me. To add on, to make each carefully formed cylinder of wax, I carved each families' crest on it.

Sitting cross-legged on a futon in the centre of the candles. I closed my eyes for a few minutes. The image of a middle-aged man with a beard flit into my mind. There was no significant feature that differentiated him from the other men I have seen, except for the fact that he seemed to be more worn out. The image of the man was followed by his wife, who appeared to be a couple years younger. Unlike her husband, she had vibrant green eyes, the colour of jade. 

Seconds later, five kids replaced the image, ranging from a small baby to a young adolescent. All of the children inherited their mother's eyes, some a few shades darker, others a few shades lighter. Regardless, they were all equally stunning. Lastly, the family's crest came into view. The crest had lavender and a strand of wheat crossing over each other. Taking a sharpened twig from beside the futon, including a blank candle, I engraved the crest into the wax, allowing the shavings to fall to the floor.

I never learned why or how each family who was slain that day could present themselves in my mind. The only way I knew they were murdered that day was when many of them looked similar to those shown in my dream of the attack. Placing the candle in an empty slot, I spoke a brief prayer.

"May your soul rest in peace and flourish in endless prosperity when you are reincarnated to serve the purpose the universe has for you."

I kissed the tips of my fingers before touching the same spot on the wax, using a spark of my magic to light the candle. In the array of candles, there was one taller one, specially made in memory of Darius.

"Darius, those archery lessons are starting to pay off. I shot an antelope exactly where I wanted it to go. You know if you were here, I would have made you a coat with the animal's fur. I am sure you would love that. The coat would match your soldier's clothes. "

Sighing, I left the space to go to my bedroom. Unsure of what to do with my spare time, I resumed reading a book I had taken out from my bedroom shelf. The book addressed facts about the geography of Hasieria, including the various cultures in the nation's multiple regions. So far in my reading, I was fascinated by the people of T'ifiri. There was something admirable about the region's unrivalled loyalty to the royal family, despite having no powers. Relying solely on their skills as warriors, they invented many of the weapons Hasieria use to this day.

"I wonder what would happen if I could return to one of the regions. I could start a new life or assume the throne."

How my heart yearned to return to my homeland. Sadly, it was near impossible to do so, considering the fact I was in the middle of nowhere. For all I knew, I could have been on the other side of the world. Furthermore, if I were to use my powers to help me track where the closest region was, I would need a mental picture of a place I visited in person. Since I hadn't travelled anywhere outside the castle grounds prior to the attack, I had no clue what to imagine.

I felt so stuck. I could neither move forward with my life. I could not return to the place of my ancestry. The only thing I could do was live my life, hoping the universe would show some mercy on me and give me someone with who I could form some sort of relationship. The last thing I wanted was to go insane from being isolated for too long.

"Whoever is listening out there, please give me someone I can confide in. I don't want to endure this suffering alone. Please be merciful."