Chapter 1: Death and Tragedy

Before you read my story, I want you to remember a time when someone you held dear was dedicated to something, something you saw them shed blood, sweat and tears for. Could you recall seeing them sacrifice so much because to them it was their life.  

Did you ever wonder, could I do what they are doing? Could I give up the pleasures of life to be devoted to something beyond myself? Did you ever get excited, knowing that one day, you will be the one responsible for such a wonderful creation. If you cannot remember, for it has not happened to you, than I pray that you receive the chance to be tasked with such an honor. However, I do not wish that it be stripped from you the way it was for me. 

To have to watch in one moment, all the years of hard work your loved one put in, go to vain, knowing you will never enjoy a second of having that task, let alone reap the rewards of it. That is the pain I wish no one should experience. After all, to dream is a right and a freedom, but to have your dreams crushed is a punishment no one should have to endure.

It took me only one day to watch everything my parents gave to our kingdom, crumble like an old brick wall and revert to dust. One day, to witness the lives that perished when they committed no sin. All they did was be human. And yet, they had to suffer in the most inhumane way possible.

I can vividly remember what happened ten years ago when my life took a complete turn. Every swipe of the sword, shriek of pain and drop of blood embedded itself into my mind.

The horrific nightmare started when I was in the throne room with my parents. It was the day that I was to show the skills gained over my training to prove I was fit to be the next ruler of Hasiera. After performing countless spells that my mother taught me, it was time to show my sword fighting techniques. 

I tied my ravenous hair behind into a bun. Feelings of anxiety consumed my thoughts, as the heat of the sun cooked my tanned skin like it was dough. As I was performing, my uneasiness faded as I became more confident. 

There was a small bit of anger in my mind as my close childhood friend, Darius, could not attend. To my parents' dismay, they sent him off to catch a criminal who committed offences I shall not speak of.

Being the youngest son of one of our most trusted generals, Darius, at sixteen, became my protector in my earlier years while he trained to be a soldier. I was an only child, but I felt like I always had an older brother when he was around. Aside from my parents, Darius was the only person who I could talk to and share stories without feeling judged. 

I pictured his ocean blue eyes and neatly combed, golden blonde hair. Although he did not don any armor, his quick reflexes and strength was something that put him above the rest of the men his age, making him a valid sparring partner for me, to help ensure that I could defend myself without the use of magic or a sword. I used to tell him that when this day came, he would witness all my hard work and dedication pay off.

I flawlessly handled my long, sharp sword encrusted with a large round amethyst, and above it, a smaller emerald, both representing power and strength. It was my family's ancient heirloom, which I treasured for many years, especially since it is the last thing I have to remember the sacrifice my mother and father made for me that fatal day.

As I was about to finish my long, tiring, yet hopefully impressive performance, a near-deafening explosion erupted from the side of the throne room, hurling me against the opposing wall. Falling unconscious, it took the sudden pain of sharp teeth tearing the flesh around my leg to wake me. 

Looking toward the limb, the first thing I saw was a hideous demon with hollow eyes that hungered for its prey. The demon's skin was an pale greyish-blue, with black eyes and arms whose muscles had jutted outward to form into sharp points that were wide at the base. In pain, I could see its pointed claws sink into my leg, tearing the muscles as the creature made it appear as if it was just a collection of flesh. Alarmed by the sight, I took my hand to shoot a beam of plasma at the beast. When the energy hit the creature, it did not leave a single scratch, yet it pushed it far away from me to get off my feet.