Chapter 12

I sat on the swing in the backyard of my home. It was a rickety old thing, put up well over 12 years ago when I was 6-years-old. I gently swung back and forth, never taking my feet off the ground. It was a chilly evening with the sky above me a mix of blues and purples as night was slowly starting to wash in.

Max poked his head out the back door, his expression bright. "Dinner is ready!"

I smiled back at him, giving him a nod as I stood up from the swing not caring much if the old set decided to collapse then and there. I paused halfway across the lawn when the burning sensation of being watched made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end. Turning, I stared hard into the darkness, my eyes drifting passed the treehouse and looking further passed and into the treeline that cut off the yard from the woods. When I saw nothing I decided to just shrug it off and go enjoy dinner with my family for the first time in weeks. If it's Edward doing his weird vampire stuff I can just yell at him later with Alice's help.

~~~ TIME SKIP ~~~

Edward and I sat in the school library, rather than sitting on the chairs we actually were sitting in a secluded section surrounded by bookshelves on the floor. We were laughing at a joke I made. I for some reason was talking about something that happened in class, perfectly mimicking the teacher's voice and the student's reply. I was attempting to keep it quiet as I did so, so that no one who was casually walking on the other side of the bookshelves could overhear. One of the best parts about having a boyfriend that can read minds is we know immediately if someone is listening in!

"It still amazes me that I can do that..." I mumbled softly, leaning my head back against the bookshelf behind me.

"You're unique, I think it's awesome." Edward commented, grinning at me with his breathtaking smile.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course I'm awesome." I flexed my hand, trying to get some blood flowing after feeling it going numb from being unused. "I haven't tried stronger voices... you know, like Mariah Carey. Or deep voices like that guy in P.E., just voices that could be within my range."

"We can test them out some time if you want," Edward offered, "At my house so no one accidentally finds out."

I already feel like someone has figured it out. I didn't need to say this out loud for Edward, he just looks at the window and frowns. I didn't bother questioning him as he pulled out a random book from the shelf beside him and gave it to me to look at.

I gave him a weird look before realizing it was the book I had been looking for, for a while now. "Thanks." I gave a grateful smile before cracking it open to read.

I tried to focus on my book instead of my boyfriend's intense gaze outside the window. After 10 minutes of the increasing intensity and only 15 minutes left of study hall, I closed the book with a slam and stared at him. "You're stressing me out, let's go check this book out and sit with Angela. She wants to talk about graduation plans anyway." She had been begging me to have this conversation for the last few days since graduation was coming up fast, only 3 weeks away now.

He looked at me before looking at the window once more before nodding and standing.

We got the book checked out before going over to Angela's table and sitting next to her. We were planning a huge graduation party. Angela apparently had some important news to share with me and wanted this to be talked about as soon as possible.

"We were given permission to throw the party in the gym here." Angela said, her whisper barely able to contain her excitement even with the tiny squeak in her voice.

I couldn't help but be excited as well, "That's so awesome!" I almost shouted as I looked over at the librarian who shot us a glare. I smiled a bit embarrassed and sent her a nod before turning back to my tablemates. "What are we going to wear?"