01 - Intern

This is a work of fiction. Events and incidents stated are not affiliated with the idols' real life.

❕ This story may contain strong language and mature content.

[EVERYTHING WILL BE NARRATED FROM IRENE'S POV]
_______________________________________

Chapter 1

Rich and Wise. Strong and Competent. That's how people describe our family.

I have lived my whole life listening to rants and problems, being curious about the business world and having a bodyguard with me in every step that I take. I was never free, our family is highly respected but threats were never absent.

My mother always said, 'Keep your identity private but never be ashamed of it'. In the business world, biased people are not avoidable, but in our case, I have to hide who I am in order for fairness to spread. Start from the bottom and be proud only when you reach the top.

This is me. I am Bae Joohyun, just a normal intern at R&H Air. I am not the Director's granddaughter, I am not the CEO and President's daughter. I know nobody here and nobody knows me.

"Good morning, you must be Irene?" A lady approached me.

"Oh, hello! Yes, I am." I genuinely smiled at her.

"Great!" She said merrily. "I'm Wendy, you must be that new intern! I saw you in that interview and I was so excited!"

I nodded and looked around. I eyed my bodyguard who was standing in a distance. I gave him a signal to leave.

"Let's go, or we'll be in trouble!" Wendy pulled me.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Dummy, the strategy department, of course. Your cubicle is ready." She continued walking, while holding my hand.

"This way?" I pointed at the hallway we were heading to.

"Yes."

I technically own this building but I know nothing about it.

Working here was never my dream, but I have no choice. I am the rightful heiress of R&H Air, the biggest software and gaming company in South Korea. They expect me to carry on the company, and I don't want to disappoint anyone.

I've always wanted to pursue the dream of being a model and an inspirational individual in the showbiz world. But my family never liked the thought of that. I remember crying whenever they told me that modeling would give me nothing but unhealthy fame. When I got older, I learned to accept that this was my fate anyway. I just have to go with the flow.

All eyes were on me as we entered the office area. Some were smiling and some greeted me with unpleasant looks. I introduced myself to them before Wendy led me to my cubicle.

"This is your area." She said.

It was pretty spacious compared to what I expected. The desk and the monitor was big, and it looked very prepared.

"I helped out cleaning." Wendy said proudly. I smiled at her and fixed my things. "You want coffee?"

"I don't really drink coffee." I shook my head.

"Oh, that's weird. Everybody here loves coffee. It helps a lot, especially when we work overtime."

"Do you often work overtime?" I asked.

"These days, we work pass our regular schedule. There's a new project going on. We're gonna be very busy, brace yourself."

Overtime!? A lot of work!? This is crazy, that is so not my thing!