02 - Late

Chapter 2

"Why are you two whispering?!" She asked angrily.

"I'm sorry. We were just talking about something." Wendy answered. I bit my lip and avoided her sullen gaze.

"Who are you?" Seulgi faced me. "I don't remember seeing you before."

"She's the new intern, ma'am. Bae Joohyun, it's her first day here."

"Oh, the newbie!" She looked up, as if she remembered something. Her face changed as she smiled at me. "Hello, new girl."

"Hello..." I looked down shyly.

"How should I call you?"

"Just call me, Irene."

She nodded and smirked at me. "I want you to pass the files in my office."

I slowly whispered a 'yes'. She left the room and people started exhaling. Is she that scary?

"Do you know where her office is?" I asked Wendy.

"You just turn right from here, and her office should be seen in the corner." She said. "You should start being scared, who knows what she'll do to you the minute you step in her office."

I didn't really feel nervous about the idea but when she warned me, it sent shivers down my spine.

"I'm kidding." She chuckled.

I collected all the papers and placed them in an envelope. Fearing she might scold me for an unknown reason, I walked towards her office with shaking hands. Now, I get why people get anxious when she's around.

I knocked on the door. She opened it in an instant. I was surprised to be greeted by a smiling face.

"Hello, Irene." She pulled me into her office. I almost dropped the files I was holding. "Put the copies on my desk."

I did what she ordered me to do. I hesitantly placed the envelope in her desk, I could feel her stare! I stood there and waited for her to say some more.

"Are those completed already?" She asked, playing with her hair.

"Yes."

"Do you have a lot of experience in this field?"

Now, what? Is she going to interview me?

"Not so much." I answered honestly.

"Then why did you choose to work here?" She raised a brow and went closer to me.

"Uh..personal reasons."

"How old are you?"

"22."

"So, you're older than me." She nodded.

She opened the files and read them quietly with her eyes before turning to me.

"You may go." She said in a monotone.

I bowed slightly before walking towards the door.  There was a mirror hanged on the wall beside the door frame. I noticed her staring at me as I walk out of the room with her brow shot up.

This may be just internship but it already feels like heavy work. How much more if I actually get to do the harder tasks!? Oh lord.

I went home that night feeling so drained. My bodyguard (slash driver) picked me up and drove me home. My head was aching bad, probably because of staring at the computer screen for hours.

"So, how did it go?" My mother asked with a wide smile.

"Fine." I lazily answered.

"Was it hard? Ms. Kang is very strict, I hope you did not give her a bad impression, or did you?" She pulled me to the sofa and made me sit beside her.