Chapter 7

"Al, where are you going? We should be going to the gate and heading home!" Melody complained as Alastair dragged her towards the town.

"He told them to escort us outside and we'd leave ourselves but he never said when." He faced his best friend. "Come on, Mel, when we will we ever get the chance to come here again?"

Melody thought about Al's words and as much as she hated to admit it, he was right. Sighing, she agreed. "Fine, but we better be as quick and discreet as possible."

_______________

The town was buzzing with life, all people were celebrating and enjoying their time as they always did around this time every year. They never knew why they felt the need to celebrate but it was their instincts kicking in and they never turned down a party. What they didn't know was that they were unconsciously celebrating their future king's birthday.

"This is better than any party I've been to." Alastair shouted over the music playing in the background.

Melody knew she'd only been dragged to one party but she nodded in agreement. Elders' smiles of longing and children's laughter filled the entire town along with the musicians expertly playing their instruments. Confetti covered the floor and steamers and banners hung from people's balconies which added to the mood of partying.

"Look!" Before she could check what Alastair's pointing at, she was dragged to a table set up against a corner with a woman sitting behind it, drawing on a child's face.

"Face paint, seriously?" Melody stared in amusement at the excited look on Alastair's face.

"Yes, seriously!" Alastair gripped the sides of her head and focused his eyes on hers. "We are in a town surrounded by complete strangers. Here, we're not the demon who everyone fears and avoids and the angel who didn't get her wings yet. We're complete strangers. Just for tonight, forget all your worries and who you are and just let loose." His tone was almost pleading as his intense blues bore into her own. (Y'all if i've mentioned her eye and hair color before, please tell me cuz i legit forgot what she looks like and she's my own character *face palm* for now she's blonde with blue eyes.)

She was lost in his entrancing eyes. His hands on her cheeks didn't help the blooming blush that coated them and she nodded her head absentmindedly. "Good, now let's go."

Allowing him to drag her through the crowd, she mulled over his words. He was right. They were in a town with people they've never encountered in their lives. No one knew her to treat her differently, she was just normal.

Well, not really considering she's an angel amongst other demons. Her scent wasn't strong enough to be caught unless someone was really close and that was because she hadn't gotten her wings yet. For once in her life, she was glad that she hadn't. Besides, everyone was too busy partying to realize there was an angel amongst them.

_______________

"And, done." The woman smiled warmly at the young girl before moving to clean the mess on the table, allowing Melody to talk a look at herself in the small mirror.

She smiled at the devil horns painted in black above her eyebrows and at the red wings drawn across her eyelids and cheeks. Alastair sported a similar look but with a golden halo on his forehood and white wings.

Looking at each other, they both giggled in irony. "Would you look at that, my little devil!" Her heart fluttered at the word choice. My. "Who knew you looked good as a devil?" He threw his arm around her shoulder and led her to the crown forming around the makeshift dancefloor, shooting a grateful thank you to the woman who painted their faces.

"You don't look too bad yourself Mr. Angel." She teased in return.

"Time to put that face on for real. Let's dance!' Before Melody could protest he had already dragged her to the middle of the dance floor. For once, Melody let go of all her thoughts and moved to the music with Alastair. The two danced their worries away, laughing with each other as they moved randomly.

_______________

Melody and Alastair ran away to a more secluded area, laughing as they managed to hide from yet another guard. "Aw man, I dropped half of my ice cream." Alastair pouted at his half empty cone."

It was nearing midnight and they had completely lost track of time between dancing, playing games with the people, and just enjoying their time. They knew they were going to get into major trouble but for now, they opted to ignore the inevitable.

"That was a close call." Melody said after catching her breath. She adjusted the huge hat she had won in one of the games.

"Tell me about it." He looked at his best friend and laughed at the smudge of ice cream she had on her cheek. "You have a little something right here." He placed his palm against her cheek and wiped away the ice cream, his hand tingling where their skins met.

Melody froze in her place. Her stomach flipped at the feel of his hand holding her face. His usually icy eyes were melted into a soft, stormy blue. Oh how she wished she could be stuck in this moment forever. But she knew he was going to find his mate very soon, and it was going to be a demon and not an angel. She cleared her throat and pulled away gently, blinking her dazed state away and casting her eyes downwards.

His hands dropped to his sides, and it took all his willpower not to pull her back into him.

"It's a couple minutes till midnight." She said softly. He hummed in reply. "You're gonna be eighteen." Another hum. "You're gonna find your mate." Her voice got quieter at the end. This time he didn't reply. She looked up to see his eyes clouding with thoughts, as if she could see directly through them and into his mind.

"Probably." He sighed. The tension between them grew with each passing minute and neither uttered a word.

The clock struck twelve and the bell dinged three times. Immediately, fireworks flared through the sky and exploded into a thousand sparkles, lighting up the sky with beautiful colors. Green. Blue. Yellow. Purple. It was a beautiful sight.

Melody's eyes followed every streak of lighting, her eyes sparkling in awe. Alastair couldn't tear his eyes away from the beautiful angel he called his best friend. Until a sweet, delicious scent of honey wafted through the air.

Melody was unaware of her friend's staring, she was preparing herself for the heartache that is yet to come. She had always dreaded the day Alastair turned eighteen and found his mate. But she had to suck up her feelings and be happy for the guy who's been with her through thick and thin, even when his happiness included another woman. A demon for sure.

Tearing her eyes away from the extravagant display of explosives, she worked up the courage to face Alastair, only to gasp in shock.

His eyes were pure, blood-red and he was staring at her as if she was the only thing that mattered in the world. She was pulled into his chest as he stuffed his face in her neck, inhaling her scent as if it were oxygen. He growled out one word which made her knees buck. "Mate."

What he did next sent her insides into a frenzy. He kissed her. Under the fireworks and with the moon highlighting their every feature, he kissed her with passion he didn't know existed before.

____________________

Yay.

It's been sooooo long since I've last updated. I have no excuse no nothing. I've just been lazy af. I'm so sorry for the long wait and thank you all for being so patient.

I'm getting another wisdom tooth removed tomorrow so that's another pain filled week and sadly no update.

Leave any thoughts in the comments and VOTE! LOVE YOU!