Chapter 10

"You've broken several rules, young man." One of the elders stared down at the two teenagers standing before the court of elders.

"Considering what I am, I'd say I'm on my best behavior." Alastair snarled at the old men and women, holding Melody's hand tightly in his own.

"What you are doesn't excuse your actions." A woman spoke. "You've beaten up one of our own. You've threatened the safety of our people with your reckless decision of going to hell. Your mere presence is an intimidation to all our kind-"

"Here you go with all the 'our people' crap." Alastair took a threatening step forward. "How do you expect me to behave accordingly when it's clear that you consider me an outsider." Another step. "You're just waiting for the tiniest excuse to punish me or lock me up. You talk about good behavior and being nice when you clearly despise me for simply being born." A guard stepped in front of Alastair to prevent him from coming any closer to the elders.

"Oh, we aren't going to lock you up, boy." The eldest sneered. "We're going to execute you." Shocked gasps filled the room, including some of the elders on his sides.

"Are you sure about this? Maybe it's best if you think this through-" One of the men tried to reason but to no avail.

"It's decided." The eldest rose an interrupting hand. "Guards, take the boy to the pit and we'll meet you there." He stood up and turned his back to leave the room. "And bring the girl, too."

The tears Melody's been trying to hold back flowed heavily as she watched guards take hold of her best friend and grab onto her as well.

"You talk about peace and treating people well when you're the people who took me away from my father and separated two mates from each other!" His eyes were beginning to turn red and his voice boomed across the room. "You're the real monsters! You hear me?! You are the monsters!" Alastair was dragged out forcefully with his hands behind his back while the elders hesitated in following their leader.

The doors to the private room swung open and a worried Shalom sprang to her feet, expecting her son's returned. What neither she nor Marcus expected was to see their children cuffed and escorted by guards.

"Alastair! What's wrong?" Shalom rushed to embrace her son but one of the guards held her back.

"I'm sorry miss but you can't come any closer." The guard pushed her back gently.

"Marcus, what's going on?" She tugged on the silent man's arm, her voice wobbling.

"Oh, no." Marcus muttered, seeing the people gathering and the cuffs around his daughter who gave him a desperate look.

"What is it?!" She yelled in his face, worry engulfing her whole.

"They're being executed." Marcus replied shakily, his voice breaking at the sight of his shackled daughter being dragged to the nearby pit.

"What?" Shalom yelled, her mind not wrapping around the fact that her son is about to be killed.

The guards had dragged the pair near the infamous pit where angels were executed for their terrible crimes. News spread like wildfire and everyone was gathered round to witness the act for themselves.

Shalom was holding on tightly to Marcus's arm, standing in disbelief as everything felt like a terrible nightmare.

"My fellow angels. We have gathered here today for the execution of the demon Alastair Toeuful. son of Lucifer himself and the traitorous angel Melody Perez, daughter of Marcus Perez." The eldest elder which ordered their execution not too long ago spoke, standing tall in front of his people. "We don't tolerate any deviance which would disrupt our peace. And these two," He pointed to the two teenagers, "have caused more trouble than any of your ancestors and put us in grave danger."