Chapter 7

-

HazelPaw began walking back to camp with her head low. Her heart ached painfully.
She knew LilyPaw was only sucking up to her sisters to get them away from her. LilyPaw was now targeting her.
I can't believe it's working.
HazelPaw padded into camp, and immediately LarkBreeze trotted over.
"Where's LynxPaw and PeakPaw?" Her mother asked.
"They're playing with LilyPaw and RampagePaw," HazelPaw replied quietly.
"Why aren't you playing with them?" She asked.
"Er..." HazelPaw wanted to quickly think of an excuse, "I thought I could do some battle training instead? That way I could...Erm...beat them next time we play!" HazelPaw forced herself to look enthusiastic.
LarkBreeze still seemed skeptical, but shrugged, "okay. SunLeap is hunting right now, but I'm sure she'll be back soon."
HazelPaw nodded, before quickly scurrying back towards the apprentice's den.
"It's awful, isn't it?"
HazelPaw stopped and turned swiftly.
"Oh, hi, HatchPaw." HazelPaw let her fur lay flat.
"LilyPaw is smart. Her schemes are laid out well, and executed even better," HatchPaw meowed.
HazelPaw's ears flattened, "do you want me to stand here while you compliment that petty she-cat?"
HatchPaw shook her head, eyeing her. "You need to be better than her. That's what you want, isn't it? You're not trying hard enough, HazelPaw. Look at you—sulking off to the apprentice's den to pout. Sitting around throwing tantrums won't do anything, you need to be like LilyPaw. Start working harder, but hard enough to be better."
HazelPaw was stunned. How is she the same age as me? Does being a medicine cat for only a little while automatically make you super wise?
"But what do I need to work for? I can work hard to be a skilled hunter and fighter, but that's it. I can't train for something invisible," HazelPaw meowed.
"That's the problem, HazelPaw. You keep dismissing everything as hopeless. You aren't letting yourself submerge into your feelings and find what you truly need, want, desire..all things that yes, can be worked for." HatchPaw got to her paws, "if you need help, you know where to find me. I look forward to becoming closer with you, sister." She turned and padded off.
HazelPaw still felt creeped out by her sister, but...she was helpful.
HazelPaw padded into the apprentice's den, closing her eyes tightly and letting her mind swirl.
What do I want? What do I need? Her mind kept spinning before she drifting off into little scenarios in her mind.

"You can't catch me!" HazelPaw dashed through the forest, her paws pattering on the soft ground.
"I sure can!" A deeper, determined voice replied.
Suddenly, HazelPaw felt her paw snag against a root sticking up from the ground. She tumbled, landing on her back.
"Watch our for the—!" She tried to warn the cat pursuing her, but it was to late.
RampagePaw gasped as his paw got caught on the same root, and he flew forward onto HazelPaw.
They both laughed, before HazelPaw let herself get lost in RampagePaw's soft icy blue eyes.

HazelPaw blinked quickly, her eyes adjusting to the shadows of the den.
Whoa.
She hadn't let herself drift off into a fantasy like that before. Fading away from it was definitely disappointing.
HatchPaw was right. I guess I'm too down-to-earth, I don't let myself see fantasies like that. No wonder I don't know what I'm working towards.
Now I do though.
She smiled as the fantasy returned to her, fairly different each time, but all with the same theme.
RampagePaw.
I need to work my tail off to try to get him to like me again. I need to work my tail off to make sure LilyPaw's plans are spoiled.