Chapter 11

-

Cold wind rustled the trees and blew around the ThunderClan camp.
HazelPaw shivered, pulling herself in a tighter embrace to try to keep warm.
Leaf-bare was coming, whilst leaf-fall just began. It came fast and brutally, as it has been significantly colder already.
StarClan is still absent, according to the medicine cats.
There is another gathering tonight, where every-cat hopes someone has answers as to what is going on.
"With StarClan silent and an inevitability difficult leaf-bare on the way, we'll have to be getting by on scraps and miracles," HazelPaw had overheard RobinWing say to TigerFoot.

Eventually, HazelPaw grumbled and gave up trying to sleep in. She decided the best way for her to warm up at this point was to join the Dawn patrol.
Getting to her paws, HazelPaw trotted out into camp. The moment she left the warmth of the apprentice's den, cold wind seemed to slap her in the muzzle.
Shivering, HazelPaw bounded over to where RobinWing was.
"Can I join dawn patrol? I can't sleep through the cold," HazelPaw meowed.
"Did SunLeap approve?" RobinWing asked.
"I don't know, she's still sleeping," HazelPaw replied.
The deputy nodded, "we best let her rest. You can tag along, and if she gets angry blame me," RobinWing chuckled.
HazelPaw snickered, following RobinWing to join the rest of the patrol. It consisted of herself, BrackenFall, OtterClaw, TawnyThroat, and NettleBurr.
"Let's go," TawnyThroat meowed, getting up and trotting out of camp.
The rest of the patrol followed quickly.

HazelPaw felt as if her paws had turned to ice by the time they approached the ShadowClan border.
BrackenFall began remarking the scent line, before growling.
"What is it?" TawnyThroat asked.
"Their scent is over the border," BrackenFall huffed.
The cats went over to investigate, to find that ShadowClan scent was over the border slightly.
"It might've been a mistake. We shouldn't try to start any conflicts right now. Not with a hard leaf-bare coming and StarClan silent," TawnyThroat meowed.
"Good idea," OtterClaw replied.
In agreement, the patrol continued on. HazelPaw lagged behind, and caught scent of HatchPaw and LilyPaw's scent. At first she thought it was odd, but then she remembered they went out looking for herbs together.
I don't see any herbs around here though...? Eh, what do I know? Maybe there is, I'm no medicine cat.
HazelPaw trotted over to catch up with the patrol.

Once they returned, HazelPaw met up with SunLeap and did battle training for half the day, but then going off and hunting for the other half.
HazelPaw dropped her three voles into the fresh kill pile, which looked less full than it had before leaf-fall.
"It's not a good sign that the prey is already hiding from cold," SunLeap commented with a sigh.
The moon hung over the forest, Silverpelt tinkling above.
StarClan, I really hope you're there. We need you.
HazelPaw then turned to listen to FidgetStar's announcements as she called which cats would go to the gathering.
HazelPaw was one of them, along with PeakPaw. Unfortunately LynxPaw had to stay behind.
"We'll tell you everything once we get back," PeakPaw promised.
LynxPaw nodded, "okay."
HazelPaw pressed herself against her sister's thick black and white pelt, trying to share her warmth.
"I really hope I don't fall into the river today of all days," PeakPaw commented as they left camp.
"Yeah," HazelPaw shot a glance towards LilyPaw, who was happily trotting beside RampagePaw.
"I hope LilyPaw falls in again," HazelPaw snickered.
PeakPaw purred in amusement.
"Yeah, that would be really funny!"

They finally approached the island, where ThunderClan started crossing.
HazelPaw noticed it was her turn rather quickly. She wasn't exactly scared of crossing anymore; but the thought of plunging into the icy cold river roaring below made her paws prickle.
Digging her claws into the bark, she carefully made her way across before leaping to the safety of the grass on the other side.
She watched as PeakPaw crossed, followed by RampagePaw, then LilyPaw, who took forever but made it across just fine.
HazelPaw followed PeakPaw up the small incline, before they made their way to the clearing.
ShadowClan and RiverClan were already gathered, with WindClan just behind ThunderClan.
HazelPaw found a spot to sit in the middle of the cluster of cats, which seemed to be the warmest spot.
"ShadowClan smells so bad," PeakPaw complained, sitting next to HazelPaw.
"Yeah, I can't believe they put up with it." HazelPaw eyed the rather scrawny clan.
"Looks like RiverClan is well fed, as always," PeakPaw added.
HazelPaw turned her gaze towards the hefty cats with sleek thin pelts.
"They always are," HazelPaw meowed.
She turned to her attention towards the large tree as FidgetStar leapt up, sitting down in her designated spot.
"Let the gathering commence!" SheepStar's voice rang across the clearing.
"WindClan has been doing well, but are still unsure of StarClan's whereabouts." SheepStar meowed.
"ThunderClan is also doing well despite the sudden cold. None of us have heard from StarClan either," FidgetStar sighed.
"Fish have been plentiful despite the colder waters. We also have not heard from StarClan," LarkStar said solemnly.
"Has anyone heard from StarClan at all?" AdderStar asked.
Every-cat was silent.
Doubt fell heavy in HazelPaw's stomach.
"Not even ThunderClan's little special medicine cat apprentice?" The RiverClan deputy, MudHawk, asked briskly.
"I haven't," HatchPaw replied boldly, "not from them directly. But I have been seeing omens."
"What do you mean?" FidgetStar seemed stunned, "why didn't you tell me?"
"I wasn't sure they were omens at first. But I keep seeing four rocks all in a circle, and some-cat will always end up accidentally kicking three away or tripping on them." HatchPaw explained.
"What exactly does this mean?" AdderStar pressed.
"I remember something similar in the message StarClan sent me. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it means," HatchPaw said.
"Dont be foolish! Obviously the four rocks symbolize the clans. Are we all going to die?" GrayCry from ShadowClan bellowed in fear.
Anxious meows immediately broke out among the cats.
"Enough! We cannot assume the worse when we hardly know anything," FidgetStar said, "HatchPaw and I will talk frequently. If we discover anything before the next gathering, I will send cats to the other clans to notify you all."
"This is probably some ThunderClan trick!" FalconWhisker, the WindClan deputy, announced.
"How dare you!" SoftShine spat, "ThunderClan is just as clueless as the rest of you!"
"Why does StarClan only speak to a ThunderClan cat then?" FalconWhisker challenged.
"Would you be saying the same thing if StarClan had only been speaking to a WindClan cat?" HazelPaw was surprised to hear her own voice as she began thinking out loud.
Eyes turned sharply towards her, making her wish she could sink into the ground and disappear.
FalconWhisker hissed, glaring at her. "Does ThunderClan not teach their apprentice's to stay quiet and not speak completely out of place?"
"It's quite bold of an apprentice to challenge another clan's deputy," a voice murmured.
"Enough!" SheepStar yowled, "FalconWhisker, we cannot throw around accusations like this. You've disappointed me."
FalconWhisker lowered her gaze.
"WindClan will be returning to their camp," SheepStar leapt down and began walking off, WindClan following swiftly.
"This gathering has come to an end," AdderStar also leapt down, the other leaders following.
HazelPaw got up, and saw her mother's icy cold gaze.
Uh oh,
HazelPaw stiffened.
I'm in big trouble!