Chapter 9

-

The brisk night air flowed into the apprentice's den. HazelPaw shivered as the wind rustled her fur.
She was already having a difficult time sleeping. While hunting, she scrambled up a tree in attempt to catch a squirrel. During her dissent, bark flaked under her paws and she landed awkwardly; twisting her paw.
The joints around her front paw ached and throbbed, making it impossible to sleep.
HazelPaw grumbled, eventually giving up and getting to her paws.
She limped out of the den, and gazed up at the sky; Silverpelt twinkling above her peacefully.
HazelPaw looked back into the den as a cloud shifted away from the moon, allowing shiny silver rays to bleed into camp.
The silver light rested on RampagePaw's pelt, which was rising and falling slowly as he slept.
HazelPaw felt her paws tingle, before a stab in her heart. The moonlight also showed the pelt of LilyPaw. Her usual sandy pelt seemed like a beautiful shiny white underneath the moon.
HazelPaw flexed her claws.
This isn't fair, StarClan! LilyPaw is horrible, yet she has no worry in the world..
"Can't sleep?"
HazelPaw bristled and leapt into the air, swerving to meet the cat who spoke.
"Gosh, HatchPaw! Don't sneak up on me like that," HazelPaw huffed.
HatchPaw chuckled, "or you just need to keep your senses more alert."
HazelPaw rolled her eyes.
"Thinking about RampagePaw again?" HatchPaw asked.
HazelPaw sat down by her sister.
"N-no...?"
"C'mon, it's obvious you figured out what you're fighting for." HatchPaw chuckled.
HazelPaw simply mumbled under her breath in reply.
"You need to take more risks if you want to catch his attention, HazelPaw." HatchPaw explained.
"I don't know how! When he isn't training, LilyPaw is there." HazelPaw replied.
"Don't worry, your chance will some soon enough. You have to keep your senses alert, though," HatchPaw meowed.
"Huh? That makes no sense. Plus, 'soon enough'? I thought you wanted me to take a risk and stop waiting around—," HazelPaw turned and realized HatchPaw had padded back into the medicine den.
Sighing, HazelPaw turned and slid back into the apprentice's den, collapsing and curling up in her nest.

The warm morning sunlight glittered along the camp. HazelPaw blinked, yawning as she woke. She still felt tired, but she was glad she got any sleep in at all.
"Good morning!" PeakPaw chirped as she also woke.
HazelPaw got up, before flinching as a sharp pain shot up her leg.
"Yikes, the paw still hurts?" LynxPaw tilted her head sympathetically.
"Y-yeah," HazelPaw muttered.
"LynxPaw!" AmberJay poked her head into the den.
"Coming!"
"Also, PeakPaw—AntherClaw is waiting for you outside of camp," AmberJay meowed.
PeakPaw nodded, getting up and scurrying off.

Once her sisters left, HazelPaw padded out into the clearing.
She spotted SunLeap eating a mouse with IceNose, chattering about something amusing from the way SunLeap's whiskers quivered.
HazelPaw turned and padded towards the medicine den, pushing through the plants growing over the entrance and stepping inside the dimly lit den.
"Hello, HazelPaw. How can I help you?" PlumWillow asked.
HazelPaw's eyes adjusted and landed on the cream-colored she-cat.
"My paw still really hurts, I can hardly walk on it," HazelPaw explained.
"Ah, alright dear. HatchPaw!" PlumWillow called to the back of the den, "come help your sister with her paw."
HatchPaw scurried over, nodding.
"I'll be back, I need to gather some more catmint," PlumWillow explained.
Once she padded off, HazelPaw turned towards HatchPaw who lead her to a moss bed.
"Sit there," she meowed.
HazelPaw nodded, sitting in the moss bed.
"I thought catmint was only collected close to leaf-fall?" HazelPaw commented, trying to make conversation.
"It is, but it is growing really well this season. We try to collect as much of it as possible before the rabbits and other critters decide it is good enough for a snack," HatchPaw meowed, grabbing some other herbs.
"Here, eat these. I'll tell SunLeap you can't train right away today," HatchPaw meowed.
HazelPaw nodded reluctantly, before leaning down and scooping the herbs in her jaws.
She wrinkled her nose at the strong bitter taste pinching her tongue. Eventually with some fighting, she swallowed the herbs and scowled.
"The herbs will make you tired, but getting some sleep will also help you heal faster. I recommend sleeping here, the bedding is softer." HatchPaw meowed.
HazelPaw nodded, curling up in the soft, fresh bedding; resting her head on her paws and shutting her eyes.
Within heartbeats, she felt herself drift off to sleep.

HazelPaw blinked awake. She was in the forest, at a small clearing.
"Hello?" HazelPaw saw the outline of another cat.
"HazelPaw," The cat  began, "your life is unfair, isn't it?"
"W-what?"
"LilyPaw is the worst she-cat you know, yet she holds so much power over you...soon enough, she will have RampagePaw, and you'll be nothing to him for the rest of your life. Do you want that?" They began circling HazelPaw.
"W-what? No!" HazelPaw felt her heart ache. Who was this cat? Their pelt was completely black, and the shadows covered any facial features they may have.

"Then be my ally, HazelPaw. Together we can lead the clans, and you can have anything and everything you desire. Including RampagePaw. All you have to do is help me," They meowed.
"W-what...?"
"I need a warrior by my side if I'm going to be successful. As someone full of desire and fight, you'd be very useful." The cat explained.
"What do you mean by 'lead the clans'? We're only apart of one," HazelPaw meowed.
"Not for long. We can take them all over easily. Together. What do you say?"
"No! No way. There has to be four clans, we learn that as a kit. StarClan has a balance we must protect," HazelPaw replied.

Suddenly, HazelPaw gasped, blinking awake.
"Have a nice nap?" HatchPaw sat there, in the medicine den.
"Y-yeah..." HazelPaw she lied.
"You seem shaken up. I'm guessing you didn't have a good dream," HatchPaw meowed softly.
"Er...no I didn't..." HazelPaw felt her pelt prickle.
"Don't worry, it's a common side effect of that herb. Just ask FernLeap, he's had his fair share of using this herb for his sprains." HatchPaw commented.
It wasn't real... HazelPaw sighed in relief.
Why did I think it was? She felt amused at herself.