Chapter Nine「Solace」

Chapter Nine
Solace

꧁꧂

After waving goodbye to the three Hashira (and convincing them not to walk her all the way), (Y/N) made her way back to her home with a new necklace around her neck and a box of sakura mochi at hand.

The sun was almost set and the girl started to limp, the gashes on her legs beginning to open up again and bleed. She was almost there; she tried to push on as she held on to the pain in her waist. Maybe she shouldn't have wasted her energy and movements on spending the day with Shinobu and Mitsuri, she considered.  She controlled her breath, trying to stop the bleeding.

Nevertheless, she was strong, and she pushed herself all the way back home until the sun was fully set and the starry sky took over.

Upon reaching the front screen of her house, (Y/N) sensed the aura of her four familiar demon companions inside. It was a rarity for all four to be in her house—the only other time it happened was during her birthday, she remembered—so the girl was a tad confused at the occasion. She curiously slid open the screen.

"I'm home," she called loudly.

The moment (Y/N)'s figure was visible, she was harshly tackled to the ground by Douma before she could even take a step inside. Her back hit the dirt roughly, but before she could attempt to remove the demon from above her, she heard crying.

"(Y/N)-chan!" Douma wailed from on top of her. "Where have you been?" he sobbed recklessly, tears nonstop spilling down from his cheeks and onto the girl's clothes. "I've been crying since you disappeared and I can't control it—please make it stop!" he begged as his arms wrapped around the girl tighter. His arms dug into the bandages above the opened wound on her waist, and she winced in pain.

"Douma-san, that hurts," she grunted from beneath him.

With a panicked "Wah!" Douma immediately let go of her and sat up.

"I smell blood," came Kokushibou's voice from inside, sounding rushed for the first time.

(Y/N) then heard a gasp from Akaza, who picked her up off the ground—gently but panicky, she noted—and brought her inside. The girl suddenly felt at least some level of surprise emitting from all four demons' auras the moment they all saw her state: bloodied bandages around her waist and legs, as well as several cuts on her arms.

"Akaza," Kokushibou started to command, rising from his seat at the tea table and moving to get bandages. "Bring her to her room and lay her on the futon."