Chapter 1

Lilypetal's POV

"Well, Lilypetal, you were right," Jayfeather muttered as he stepped away from my flank. "You're expecting kits."

Oh my StarClan!

I gasped, whipping my head up to look at Thornclaw, who was sitting next to me in the medicine den. His pale blue eyes reflected the same bewilderment that I felt, and his mouth had dropped open. I tried to suppress a purr of amusement as I noticed that he had fallen speechless.

It was a few moments before my mate could manage to get any words out. "Kits..." Thornclaw finally breathed, slowly turning so that he could meet my gaze. My stomach twisted up into the most wonderfully created and best-feeling knot as I saw love glowing in the tabby tom's eyes. "Our second litter of kits."

"Our second litter of kits..." I repeated as I stood up, the surprise that I was feeling slowly being replaced by excitement. "Our second litter of kits!" I'm going to be a mother... again!

I turned to Jayfeather once again, one of my eyebrows raised as I met the medicine cat's blind blue gaze. "Are you completely sure?" I murmured, trying to push down my purrs. Please be sure, please be sure!

I watched as Jayfeather simply shrugged. "Unless you decided to swallow a few huge rocks and store them in your stomach, yes," he murmured sarcastically, lashing his tail.

I then turned back to Thornclaw as I could clearly hear the loud purr rumbling in his throat. "Well, these are the best type of rocks that I could ever imagine!" he exclaimed as he dug his muzzle into my neck fur. "I'm so happy, Lilypetal."

I purred back as I put my muzzle on my mate's head. "I am too, Thornclaw," I whispered, breathing in Thornclaw's warm scent. Licking my mate's head, I then pulled away to look at Jayfeather again, my tail twitching with excitement. "Thank you, Jayfeather!"

The gray tabby tom rolled his eyes. "Always happy to give the news that there's going to be more kits in the camp..."

Thornclaw and I exchanged an amused glance before turning around and leaving the medicine den side by side. I took a deep breath as I crawled through the den entrance first, beginning to process what in the name of StarClan had just happened.

I was having my second litter of kits, in case that wasn't established enough already. It was definitely a surprise, but the best type of surprise I could have ever imagined. A part of me, of course, was grieving a bit for having to step down from my warriors duties for quite a few moons while I cared for the little ones, but if I was going to do it for any reason, it would be to do that.

I already couldn't wait to snuggle with them in the nest we shared, to see what they looked like and how they acted, watching them grow up, and heck, even just getting to see how many kits Thornclaw and I were going to have!

The excitement of all of it almost felt as if it was for the first time. I still felt that strange but amazing mix of anticipation, nerves, and eagerness.

And extreme nausea, but we won't talk about that.

Expecting Goldenshine and Snowflight feels so long ago... I realized, pushing back strong emotion as I was brought back to having my two daughters with me in the nursery, my heart welling up with love each time I did something as little as look at them.

I had been so heartbroken to watch the two of them leave the nursery, but I realized almost immediately after that getting to watch them grow up was hard, but almost just as enjoyable as getting to be with them as kits.

And, just as I had expected, both Snowflight and Goldenshine grew up to be strong, determined, and beautiful grown she-cats. Goldenshine was so defiant and brave, but also so considerate of her Clanmates. And Snowflight had been such a brilliant medicine cat alongside Jayfeather, her intelligence and grace showing even through her extreme humility and generosity.