Chapter 7

Swiftpaw's POV

Considering I was a cat that had trained in the Dark Forest with many potentially dangerous cats for moons now, one would think that something like talking to my father wouldn't be so daunting.

But also considering our circumstances, it very much was. I had never felt nerves like this before - the kind of nerves that overtake your excitement and eagerness, and you actually forget that you're excited about it.

But... am I excited? I asked myself. I'm terrified, I know that for sure. I didn't even realize that I might be able to meet Breezepelt at my first Gathering until I saw WindClan on the island.

As I padded closer and closer to the black WindClan tom, my heart seemed to be beating faster and faster. Will he like me? I couldn't help but wonder. Will he even recognize me? Will he be bitter because Goldenshine took me into ThunderClan rather than giving me to him?

I decided that hopefully all of these questions would be answered once I actually talked to the guy, which I realized couldn't be achieved yet from how slowly I was stepping. I let out an annoyed huff and began to walk faster again.

How ridiculous would that look to Breezepelt if I looked like this pitiful apprentice, reluctantly walking up to him and staring at him with wide eyes? I asked myself as I managed one last quick glance at Goldenshine, who was still watching me from afar, her gray eyes clearly glinting with eagerness and urgency. Great StarClan, give me strength.

Once I finally arrived to Breezepelt, he was exchanging farewells with a pale tabby she-cat who then padded off into the crowd.

My heart nearly dropped as I then realized that Breezepelt was now alone, and I was the only one standing in front of him. There was no turning back now.

He's my father, I told myself. And we're both training in the Dark Forest together. This was going to happen sometime, and I'm not going to be scared. I'm going to talk to my father. But as I met Breezepelt's hard amber gaze, talking was suddenly the last thing that my brain wanted to do. I opened my mouth to speak, but I found that nothing would come out. I simply watched as my father stared back at me, looking extremely confused.

But he also said nothing.

Does he know who I am, or will I have to explain? "Uh..." I began, my paws shifting back and forth awkwardly. But, I cut myself off from saying anything else as I saw Breezepelt's eyes flash with what looked like shock and realization.

The black tom then shook his head quickly, his eyes widening before they fell into two amber slits. "You're not just some random apprentice trying to make friends, are you?" he finally murmured, his tail twitching. "I know you."

My ears flicked, shocked at hearing my father's voice for the first time. We're beginning to sound similar, I realized before murmuring back, "Definitely not." I then took a deep breath, forcing myself to fully meet Breezepelt's gaze. "I'm... I'm your son."

Although it had seemed already that Breezepelt recognized me, my words made his ears flick and his eyes widen like he had only just found out the information. I actually found myself trying to suppress a purr of amusement as he then began to scan his gaze around the clearing, stopping once he had found my mother from many foxlengths away.

Not shockingly, Goldenshine still seemed to be taking side glances towards us, desperate to see how we were interacting. My mother gave Breezepelt a very soft nod before turning back to who she was talking to.

Breezepelt then turned back to me, his eyes now huge. He simply stared at me for many heartbeats before taking a deep breath and letting his gaze soften, though there was still a very shocked and strained look in his eyes.