44

The year was 1989. It was a fairly cold day, given that it was December 24th, in England. There was a faint layer of snow, a very rare sight, which had settled on the concrete.

Within one of the houses, a young couple were getting ready to celebrate their young baby's first Christmas. They hadn't expected to buy any presents for a third party but they were happy to, nonetheless.

When the grandfather clock, that stood in their hallway, chimed to signal that the hour hand had struck upon the 10, the couple slowly stood, cradling their daughter. The mother held her tightly, ensuring that she was comfortable, and made her way up the stairs, her husband following quickly after.

The father of this baby opened the door to the nursery and allowed his wife to step inside, and lay their child in the cot. After the girl had been laid, still sleeping soundly, in her cot, the mother and father simply stared at her, grateful for their unexpected gift.

They made their way to their own room, changing into their pyjamas, readying themselves for bed. After a small, quiet, debate about whether or not it was a good idea to let her sleep in a different room, all alone, for the first time, the two of them soon let sleep overcome them... but that was probably the wrong choice.

Whilst their dreams held the fantasy of their baby opening her presents, receiving clothes and toys but only being interested in the wrapping paper, their reality had a much more sinister approach, this Christmas.