Maverick

I open my eyes and check my calendar and clock. 

"NO school, yes. 10 am, not bad. " 

I Close my eyes and fall asleep. 

I wake up again and check the time. 

Its 1 pm. 

I curse because I feel a suddenly rumble in my stomach. 

I keep my pj's on and go downstairs. 

My cat rubs against me and meows. 

I pet him and feed him. 

I see a note written from my mom on the table. 

"Already left for work, have a good relaxing day. Love mom." I smile and get some toast for myself. 

I finish eating and have a shower. While I am washing, I hear a knock on the door. I curse and quickly finish. 

I rinse my hair and turn the shower off. I get dressed with actual clothes. I stumble out of the bathroom and rush to the door. 

I open it and look outside. 

No one's there but a package is sitting on my deck. 

I bend down and pick it up slowly. 

"I didn't order anything. How does it say my name?" I feel weird and throw the package on the table and leave it there.  

****

I check the time, it's 4 pm. I feel so bored that I turn the television off and check what's in the package. 

I stand up off the couch and walk over the the table. 

I grab a pair of scissors and struggle to open the package. 

I cut myself and get fed up.

I place my hands on the package and the wrapping disappears.

"Teleportation baby" I laugh to myself and realize that there's only a note. 

I take it and open it. 

"Birch tree at midnight" 

My eyes narrow. That's where all classes meet, in the middle of the Capital. 

I sigh and throw the paper out, trying to think if it's safe to go. 

I go back to the couch and lay down. I fall asleep and wake up knowing my answer. 

"I am going." 

I look at the time and it's almost supper. 

**** 

I finish making diner when mom walks in. 

"Hey honey. Pasta?" She smiles and goes to wash her hands. 

She comes back and sits down. 

I make her plate and mine. I give her her plate and I sit down. 

"How was your day?" I ask mom. 

She shrugs. 

"Working at a low paying job because of our class isn't good. So i'll say I did my best. What about you? You look concerned." She continues eating as I tell her how my day went. 

But I left out the part when I got a package. 

"Hey mom, I need to go somewhere tonight. I may not be back until morning." I look at mom and swallow the last piece of noddles.

Being 13 in Class D means that we get more privilege because we are less interesting then Class A. 

"Alright, you be careful" She smiles and take my empty plate with hers. 

"Thanks. I am going to go get ready and I'll leave a note for you if you're already asleep" 

Mom nods and washes the plates. 

I walk off to my room, thinking about what there is at the Birch tree.

 ****