Red Lollipop

walking out of the cell for dinner with carol i felt all eyes on me.
i reached my hand up to rub the marks on my neck, knowing i probably had dark hickeys all over it.
"dont even think about covering them"
she orders before nodding at two of her group. they bring us trays as we sit down at the usual table.
"oh so i get the special treatment too now huh"
i say with a smile as my tray clatters down in front of me. she gives the rest of the group another nod and they sit at the other end of the table to us. its weird how much they can understand from that gesture.
"youre not gonna do my dirty work for me. but doesnt mean you can do what you want. ill still fuck you up if i need to remember that"
i laugh and roll my eyes.
"i know carol i think youve shown me that by now"
she looks over at me and smiles, moving her leg so it rests against mine. i can already see her tough exterior cracking for me. im glad shes opening up. i wish it would be easier though. i swear if anyone fucks her over like frieda did ill end them.
as we eat i see people watching in awe as carol sits alone with me. i guess she doesnt do this often.

later that night as i get into bed i find a red lollipop under my blanket. a smile fills my face. its a small gesture but it means a lot coming from carol.
"what are you smiling at?"
i look over to see her standing by the door, her hair damp having just come back from the showers.
"oh i think a secret admirer left me this lollipop. how sweet is that?" i joke, my smile getting bigger as she chuckles and shakes her head. i put the lollipop under my pillow to save it for tomorrow and crawl under the covers to wait for lights out.