D Block

the day went smoothly after that, not much happening. my job assignment turned out to be cleaning. 12 cents an hour and cleaning shitty toilets. so far this job is near the top of my list of worst things about being locked up.
i grab my mop and bucket and start heading to D block, this shitty day almost over.
the gates to the block open with a loud clang and me and the two other girls stuck with this job walk in. i too walk into the sea of khaki uniforms belonging to the swarm of people watching us walk in. jesus its hostile in here. i start around the edges of the block, trying to stay inconspicuous. im about halfway around the big hall when i see a group of three girls start marching up to me. its like i have a sign on my back that says "mess with me"
i ignore them and go back to mopping the grey floors. they reach me and stop before the girl that was leading them speaks up.
"look what we have a here, a cunt block cookie" she says, arousing some sniggers from her lackies.
i sigh and move my bucket along so i can clean the next spot.
"what do you want?" i say without looking up.
she takes a step closer and her friends surround me from the other sides.
"we just wanna show you what happens to C blocks like you when you bump into one of us"
i freeze, knowing she doesnt just wanna talk. without warning i get a harsh shove from behind making me slam into a wall. i turn around just in time to dodge a punch from the other one. the force of the push made me hit my head hard, the pain making all the suppressed anger start to surface. without thinking i punch one of the girls square in the nose, quickly kicking the other in the knees making them both stumble back. i turn to the leader and grab her hair, pulling it roughly to the side. she claws at my face with her nails but the pain only gives me more strength. i throw her to the ground and start kicking her before the other girls come back for more and i get a hard punch to the side of my face.
before long two guards come running over, yelling at us to break it up. i stop myself from doing anything else, not trying to end up in the shu.
as i get dragged back through the gates of D block i see the leader get up with blood pouring out of her nose, holding her ribs.
i turn to the corridor between the blocks, hearing the guard pulling me by the arm speak into his radio.
"we need medical in D block"
suprisingly, i feel more relaxed, like id gotten rid of something that was weighing me down.
we get to the gates of C block and he opens the gates, roughly shoving me in
"next time youre going to the shu inmate."