Extra 1 || Pancakes

(set 5 years before the fanfiction timeline) 

(m/n) and (f/n) watched as their daughter sighed for the umpteenth time, hanging her head as she pushed the last puzzle piece into its place. 

(y/n) stared at the finished piece, not even the least bit excited that she finished it. The colorful and intricate designs of the flowers did little to brighten her mood, instead they only hurt her eyes. 

(y/n) broke the puzzle, mixing the pieces and stuffing them back into the box, her four hours of work gone. It wasn't that she cared though, it was only something she was doing to pass time.

"(y/n)," said girl looked up as her father called her name. He nervously cleared his throat, walking over to the girl and crouching by her side. "Where do you want to go today sweetie? Your mother and I have the day off." 

(y/n) looked down, thumbing a piece of the puzzle. 

"I don't know," she eventually said. "There's nothing to do..." 

"We can go to the arcade," (m/n) pipped up, sitting down on the other side of her daughter. "I heard that it's fun." 

(y/n) pouted and buried her head in her knees. "But I have no one to play with. Going out isn't fun when you're alone." 

"You're not alone, you have us," (f/n) furrowed his brows. (y/n) shook her head. "It's not the same..."

(y/n) silently got up and walked away from her parents, her bedroom door shutting with a soft 'click.' 

(m/n) and (f/n) sat in silence, staring at each other before nodding in unison. They got up and headed toward the table, pulling out a seat to sit across from each other. 

"So," (f/n) started, lacing his hands together and resting them on the table. "Our daughter is lonely. What do we do?" 

(m/n) raised an eyebrow, leaning back in her seat as she crossed her arms. "Oh, you're asking me? I thought you would have an idea."

(f/n) sighed. "Honey no, please. You're smarter than me, you know my brain doesn't work that way." 

(m/n) didn't reply, staring dow at the table as the gears in her head turned. 

"Should we send her back to school?" (f/n) pipped up. (m/n) glared. "Did you forget why we took her out of school? She's twelve, (f/n), there's no way we can leave her alone when we're out on our trips, we have to bring her with us. A school would never allow a student to be absent for three weeks straight." 

(f/n) remained silent, knowing his wife was right. 

"Maybe we should make her talk to the neighbors' kids?" He suggested. 

(m/n) shook her head. "They're older than her and they're rarely home cause of their clubs. That's why (y/n) comes with us to the bakery." 

(f/n) groaned. "Then should we just get her a pet?" 

"A pet?" (m/n) questioned. "Do you really think (y/n) would like that?" 

(f/n) blinked. "Oh, you're actually considering the idea?" 

(m/n) nodded. "A pet could work..." 

Another blanket of silence fell between the two. 

"Let's go?" (f/n) suggested, standing up to grab his keys. (m/n) followed suit, walking down the hall to knock on her daughter's door. 

"(y/n)," she said, pressing her ear against the wood as she tried to listen for her daughter's response. 

"Yes?" 

"Your father and I are going somewhere, we won't be out late." 

(m/n) heard some shuffling noises before the door cracked open just enough for her to get a glimpse of the young girl. "Take care." 

(m/n) smiled, gesturing for (y/n) to open the door wider. She cupped the girl's cheeks and pressed a light kiss to her forehead. "See you soon." 

__

"(y/n)! We're home! Come here we have a surprise for you!" 

"You idiot why did you say that? Now it's not a surprise." 

(y/n) blinked as she heard her parents' voices. Slipping the blanket off her shoulders, (y/n) stepped onto the cool hardwood floor and carefully made her way to the living room. 

She peeked her head around the corner, scared that her parents would suddenly jump out and surprise her, but she became confused when she saw her mother sitting on the couch, her father standing next to her as they both stared at something in her mother's lap. 

The sound of her footsteps caught her father's attention and he excitedly gestured for her to come over. 

(y/n) cautiously walked ever, rounding the couch and looking down to see just what they were staring at. 

(y/n)'s eyes widened. 

"...you got...a cat?" She questioned, folding her legs and sitting down, never taking her eyes off of the kitten. (m/n) nodded, smiling at the curiosity and fascination that shone in her daughter's eyes. 

"Do you want to hold him?" Her mother asked. (y/n) gulped, glancing between her mother and the cat. "Can I?" 

(m/n) didn't respond. She scooped the small cat into her hands, waking it from its sleep. The cat blinked as it made eye contact with the girl, opening its mouth and showing its fangs as it let out a small yawn. 

(m/n) carefully placed the cat on her daughter's lap, watching as the girl hesitated to touch it. (y/n) eventually calmed down, patting the cat lightly and waiting for its reaction. The cat seemed to like her touch and scoot closer to her body as if asking for more. 

(y/n) lightly pet its fur, her smile widening as it began to purr. 

(m/n) and (f/n) watched the scene, huge smiles on their faces to match their daughter's. 

"Told you getting a pet was a good idea," (m/n) pipped up, earning a glare from her husband. 

"I'm the one who suggested we get a pet." 

"Yeah, and you're also the one who wanted to get a hamster." 

"They're easy to take care of," (f/n) raised his hands up in defense. (m/n) rolled her eyes. 

"What are you going to name him sweetie?" She asked, completely ignoring the comments her husband was making. 

(y/n) looked up and paused. 

"Pancakes." 

"Pancakes?" Her mother repeated, amused. "Why Pancakes?" 

"Cause I like Pancakes," (y/n) giggles as the cat stood on her lap, resting its paws on her chest as it tried to reach her face. 

(y/n) pressed her nose to his, smiling as he let out a soft meow. 

"Welcome home, Pancakes." 

___

Hello everyone. I miss you all. Not working on a chapter every day feels really weird.

As I said in my announcements+requests chapter, I will be making extras but they're all going to be relatively short and simple like this one. Please check out that chapter cause you can make requests and I would like your help for one of the extras I have planned. 

Oh also, I submitted this story for the 2020 Watty awards so...please support me. Or if you don't that's okay too, you don't have to. But if you do, thank you so much. 

Hello to all the new readers. It's been nice seeing all your votes and comments. I hope you enjoyed this fanfic ^^ 

Thank you again for everything, I'll see you all in my next extra (or request)