conclusion+archive [update - 2021 watty winner!]

IT'S DONE.

I cannot actually believe RELATIVE FICTION is done. This book was exhausting and challenging in so many ways, but also made me feel like I've grown so much not only as a writer, but also as a storyteller. I know I say this about EVERY couple I write, but Kai and AJ really have a piece of my heart, and I can also say with confidence that Kai is the best protagonist and narrator I've written so far. I knew when I was building him that there were things that were absolutely necessary for me to include in his character, and if I didn't do it properly I would feel like I failed him and the story. I challenged myself to make him an unreliable narrator, but also someone you wanted to care about and root for. I wanted him to have struggles and make bad choices, but still be kind and respectful and ultimately have a good heart in the end. I wanted him to feel real to you, like someone you'd see in passing on a train and wonder what his life was like. I wanted him to feel human. In the end all I can really say is there will never be another Kai.

There are not enough realistic stories about addiction and recovery. Point blank. Too many writers use it as a plot device and cling to outdated stereotypes, and then the education aspect of it is lost. Of course we read to be entertained, but don't you want to learn something too? Maybe have your beliefs or feelings altered just a bit? That has been and always will be my ultimate goal as a writer, and if Kai's story has done that for you, that's all I could ever want. 

What are your final thoughts on the story? I hope you guys enjoyed it and any overall feedback is welcome ❤️

UPDATE [12/4/2021] -

WE WON A GOD DAMN WATTY!

Relative Fiction truly means the world to me. It was the first story I committed to writing in fully male POV, when I realized it was a strength of mine in storytelling and elevated the way I wrote first person narration. This was also the first story I wrote that actually takes place where I live, and I'll always and forever be proud of the aesthetics, the setting, and vibe of this story. There is so much of ME in it, and it's a story that I truly and genuinely believe in. I didn't write it to get popular, and I didn't write it because I thought it was something everyone would read - but I did write it in hopes people would read it and it would make them think about their preconceived stereotypes on addiction and how it affects people and their loved ones. I gave Kai a voice that to this day I think is my strongest narrator, and part of it is I genuinely believe he tells a story that isn't told enough. Relative Fiction is the refined culmination of why I write what I write. I think it's elevated me as a writer and storyteller in ways I never imagined, and to see it recognized for handling topics that are still so stigmatized in contemporary fiction...that means more to me than anything else. Thank you for everything ❤️

things that are different from the first draft -

- the most drastic change is that I've aged the characters down from 25/26 to 20/21 so that they're legitimately college-aged. i think it made more sense for their characters and the story.

- more scenes between Kai and AJ, so that you could really feel like you were invested in them. also more background on AJ and more hints as to what she was actually doing when it came to writing her story about Kai. I didn't want you to be so shell-shocked by it - a good twist should still feel about 50% predictable. 

- tighter, cleaner writing, and more fleshed out minor characters.

this is a complete second draft, but if you still have any constructive criticism please let me know! is there still something missing from the story that you'd like to see? anything you think isn't needed or doesn't belong? feel free to leave comments or message me privately!

below are a collection of things from the original draft, formerly titled CLOSER, that I consider sort of an 'archive' of first draft things

I've never done this before with any of my other stories but I thought this part would be fun!

Fun facts about Closer -

- I named Kai after Kai from Beyblade LOL I wish this was a joke but it's not. But it's also my top choice as a boys name when I have a son. My soon to be last name is very long and hard to pronounce so short and sweet first names are the best for us.

- This is the first book I've written that actually takes place where I live. Any other book I've written is either totally fictitious or based on a combination of places. It's Folly Beach, South Carolina which is a beach suburb of the city of Charleston. I live on a different island right by Folly Beach, but it's all part of Charleston County. Kai and AJ go to real places in Charleston that I go to myself.

- When I was plotting out the bones of the story and starting to build the characters, I had just gotten Disney+ and was binge watching the prequel 3 Star Wars movies, and I saw Anakin Skywalker's hair in Revenge of the Sith and I was like WOW I want my guy character to have that hair. Then eventually it just turned into casting Hayden Christensen as the original Kai.

- Kai was originally going to be the writer, and AJ was going to be the artist. I can't honestly remember at this point why I decided to switch them LOL but I'm glad I did.

- This actually came up a few times and so for clarification, Sage went to the University of South Carolina, NOT University of Southern California, but I guess when I referred to it as USC a few times people got confused. But here in South Carolina, when people say USC they almost always mean University of South Carolina. Which btw I'm a Clemson fan and we hate USC, it's a super bitter in state rivalry and that's why it's Sages alma mater teehee

- Back when I first started actually writing Closer, I posted a quote from it on Instagram and mentioned it was named after a song by Jack River, and I tagged her in it. She actually commented on my Instagram post with heart eyes emojis and I just about died.

Any other closing thoughts are welcome. Love you guys.