The Reality Paradox (Cameron Armstrong) 3

I jump and sit up in my bed, panting.  The moonlight bathes through my window, shining at the foot of my bed.  I take in the tranquil environment of my room and the house in the night.  When I'm sure I've relaxed, I flip the covers and swing my legs over.

I rub my eyes, stepping out of my room, and can hear loud snoring from next door.  I turn the knob and peek into my father's room.  He's curled in a fetal position like a little scared boy under the blanket, black hair concealing his eyes.  I step inside to lightly shift and tuck the strands away so he doesn't wake up with irritated eyes again.  Knowing he was getting a good night's sleep comforted me, even though he overworks himself and needs to put his priorities ahead of mine sometimes.   I smile sadly and quietly leave, shutting the door.

Maybe I can secretly organize a guys night out for him, Mike, and Tré.  They can go to a bar and I can hang out at the library.  Something to get his mind off of his job.  Hmm, I'll draw up plans for that tomorrow.

I drowsily saunter to the bathroom down the hall.  With a yawn, I flush the toilet after having done my business and wash my hands.  As I turn the water off, I catch something in the mirror standing behind me.  It's a girl coated in dirt on her clothes and face.  She looks familiar.   She looks like me.  She is me.  I inhale sharply and rotate my body.  Nothing.

It takes me from behind and swiftly pulls me into the mirror.  I scream.