Redemption (Jane Urie)

*Warning - Bullying/Suicide

"Come on," Jane mumbled at the car on the tv as she mashed buttons on the controller.

Occasionally, Sarah would peer from pouring beans in the machine to her daughter in the living room, carrying out her morning routine:  Planted on the couch immersed in her game.

Brendon came downstairs, shirtless from having showered, and stopped when he saw what his daughter was doing.  "Trying to beat my high score?"

"Correction: Beating your high score.  Just one more lap."  She didn't divert her attention from the screen.

He chuckled and went to the kitchen, kissing Sarah.  "Did you make coffee?"

"I did. You can make one for yourself," she remarked, going to sit at the island with her cup.

Brendon scoffed, proceeding to make his.

"That's what you get for keeping me up late."

"This is what I get for wanting to make love to my beautiful wife?"

Jane blew loudly from her mouth.  "Dad, you know not everything is about sex, right?"

Brendon paced to his daughter.  "First of all," he lifted her off the couch, taking her by surprise.

"Dad -- !"

He hung half of her body from his shoulders by the legs so she was upside down, back to back. Jane kept a firm embrace on her controller as he spun.  "Let's not forget that sex is the whole reason for your existence."

"Ugh, dad!"

"Yeah, not so fun knowing your parents had to do the dirty to have ya, huh?"   He lifted and flipped her over.  Her back collided with the couch cushions, and he ruffled her hair.

Sarah giggled as she watched everything.  Jane playfully groaned as Brendon went back to the coffee machine.

"Jane, 5 more minutes, then you have to leave for school," her mother said.

Her back was to them, so they didn't see her expression change to utter distraught at her mother's words, and slowing her gameplay.

"I can drive you," Sarah continued.  "Since you have that meeting with the Principle this morning."

"Okay."  The rest of her gameplay was slow and half-hearted.