Redemption (Jane Urie) 2

Jane sat opposite the grand, wooden table that separated them, watching the green-eyed man sift through papers in the manilla folder.

"Gotta say, Jane, you work your ass off."

She smiled coyly.  "I'm sure it's no big deal."

"I mean it," Mr. Armstrong replied.  "Based on these transcripts, recommendations, SAT's and the Honor Society, you're every college's dream.  A shoo-in."

She pressed her lips, holding a grin.  "A shoo-in provided I do well on my AP exams."

He smirked.  "You're never satisfied, are you?"

Jane shrugged.  "Just don't see how I stand out from anyone else."

"Don't worry about anyone else.  Focus on your accomplishments, what you have done outstanding."  He drew out a yellow stock paper and placed it on the table, sliding it to her.  "Do you know what that is?"

"My report card."

"Your overall average is 97%.   In your Junior year, no less.  Your teachers have no complaints."

She laughed sheepishly, running a hand through her short hair.

"Do you think colleges are going to bypass this as 'not worthwhile'?"

She stretched her arm.   "I know financial aid won't be lenient.  My parents make way too much money, yet college can still put us in debt."

"Scholarships are a thing, y'know?  Hell, we might be looking at full-rides."

"We'll see."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniella Wentz watched from a distance as Jane opened her locker.

"What are we doing again," asked a curly-haired boy next to Daniella.

She rolled her eyes and turned to him and the blonde boy.  "It's simple.  When she goes to the bathroom, I'm gonna go in, and all you have to do is make sure nobody comes in.  Capisce?"

"Sounds like a small task for 20 bucks," the blonde said.

"If you don't want it, give it back."

"No."

"That's what I thought."

Jane took out her trigonometry binder and went to the usually empty bathroom as she normally did between classes.  Setting her backpack down, she went into the stall.  When she was done and exited, she was met with an all too familiar face.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't little Urine boy."

Jane bit her tongue.

"Aww, you scared little boy?"

Jane shook her head.

"C'mon, use your words."

"I'm not a boy," she said quickly.

"Your hair and fashion sense say differently."

She averted her gaze down, noticing Daniella was blocking her backpack.

"Let me guess, you already completed the physics project even though it's not due until the end of the month."

"Um..."  Jane kept looking at her bag.

Daniella looked too, noticing her look of worry.  "Got something to hide, Urine?"

"N-no."

"Why the stutter, Urine?"

"Urie, not urine."

She rolled her eyes.  "It's Urine without the 'n'."  She picked up Jane's bag and opened it.  "Just notebooks.  Wait..."  she pulled one out that made Jane's eyes widen.  "Why is this one untitled?"

"Please don't open that."  Her lower lip quivered.

"Wrong answer." Daniella set the bag down and flipped through the pages of various dates and paragraphs.  "Oh my god," she smiled.  "Is this a journal?"

"I'm begging you --"

Daniella read aloud:

April 14th

I was hoping Tyler would ask me to the dance.   I really like him, but he asked Jenna in front of the entire cafeteria.  I guess it just wasn't meant to be.  

"Daniella --"

She ignored Jane.

April 17th

Ryan Ross is really cute, but I'm way out of his league.  He's the captain of the football team and I'm a Junior on the mathletes.  Damn, if he ever found out I was remotely interested in him, I'd be a laughing stock.

She tore out the page.

"What are you doing?!"

"Hey, I'm doing the math:  I give this page to Ryan + He knows about your crush on him = Jane the laughing stock."

Jane charged at Daniella, but the other was stronger and pinned her to the ground, restraining her wrists and digging a knee into her stomach.

"You're right.  Ryan isn't enough.  I'll give the other page to Tyler.  Any more boys you've written about?"

Jane struggled.   "Let me go!"

"You know what?   It's probably easier if I expose you on my Instagram page.  Where the whole school follows me.   I'll need to take your book home, obviously.   God, I wish I found out about this in freshman year."

"No, stop!"

"I think you need to cool off, pissboy."

She lifted herself from Jane, grabbing and dragging her by the back of the shirt to the stall.  She hoisted Jane's body halfway to grab a clump of her hair and dunk her head in the toilet.  A few seconds of air bubbles and she lifted her.  Jane inhaled thickly.

"What's that?"  Daniella said between the other's gasps.   "You want more?"  She submerged Jane's head again.  She pushed her hand on the toilet seat in an attempt to lift herself free, to no avail.  Daniella released her.

Jane coughed and sputtered water, propping her back against the stall wall.

"Tonight, your life is over," Daniella remarked before leaving.

For a long moment, Jane remained in her hunched position.  Long enough to formulate a plan that would mean the end of the 3 - year streak of tyranny from Daniella. But not without cost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was around noon when Jane arrived at the empty house, though she doubted it'd be empty much longer once her parents found out she cut school.  She shifted her backpack on her shoulder, and allowed the weight of it to slide off and sink by the front door and trudged upstairs to her parents' bedroom.  Robotically, she lay on her stomach and removed the tin box from beneath the bed, containing what her father taught her how to use for emergencies.

She flipped the lid open and took it out, sauntering to the bathroom, shutting the door. Serenely, she stepped into the tub fully clothed, including her shoes, back straight, and surveyed the light illuminating the sleek, semi-heavy implement.  Jane sighed.

The shot rang throughout the neighborhood.