Daisy

"Maybe you should give that one to me," Matty said as he took the cardboard box labelled BOOKS out of my hands. George was lapping us, carrying in box after box. I felt guilty that I wasn't as quick as he was.

Matty miscalculated the box's weight and had to abruptly put it down on the back of the truck again. "Okay, yikes it is heavy. Grab the other end, will you?"

"Gee, I didn't think of that," I said sarcastically. We carefully held the box upright as we walked it into the living room. Our living room.

The box made a loud 'thud' noise when it hit the tabletop. Matty and I had given up on our arm strength. The box flaps opened and Matty couldn't help but get his grubby paws on my stuff.

"Holy shit, you've got so many books."

"They're not mine," I said quickly. He smiled.

"Oh, what," he waved his hands jokingly. "Did you steal them?"

"Uh, yeah." I said, tearing Poe out of his clutches. "And I ripped a lot of pages out so if you want to add that to my list of crimes, be my guest."

Matty took a little book out of his pocket and scribbled some notes with a nearby pen. My eyes bugged. I didn't think he'd do it.

"Relax! Just kidding!" I rolled my eyes. George stopped behind us and dropped another box into the living room.

"No, really, I'm doin' fine! Carrying all this stuff is easy," he said sarcastically. Daggers.

I pushed Matty out of my way and then went outside to pick up more boxes with George, laughing the whole way.

'Linen' and 'Kitchen' and 'Bedroom' were all dragged into the house by 5pm. The boys and I celebrated by having a cold drink on the couch. We cheered to a hard day's work.

"Can I just say," George began, our drinks still hoisted in the air. "I'm really happy you guys are doing this."

"Thanks, mate." Matty patted his arm.

"Yeah, just for that and helping me move in, you can come over anytime for cake," I said. We all drank to that. George stayed later than expected, but he said he had to drive the truck back to his cousin's place before it got too dark.

"Cheers for the drinks, I'll visit you soon," he said on our front step. Matty and I waved from the door frame and watched as he drove down the street. Then we closed the door and sat on the sofa together. Arm on shoulder, hand on leg, heads tilted together. Warm.

Then I opened a box.

"Come on, love, don't start opening things now. Why don't we skip right to dessert? A little birdie told me there's cake somewhere." He shook my shoulders softly.

"Maybe later, I'm just gonna unpack one box - then that's it." I laughed. Matty stood up and walked into the kitchen.

The 'Bathroom' box seemed like a quick unpack. I opened the lid and saw my shampoo, bars of soap and some towels. My toothbrush had already been in Matty's bathroom cabinet for two months.

I took the box and walked it down the hall, plunking it onto the bathroom counter. The mirror did the same.

I looked at her, this girl in the mirror. She was different than I remembered her. Plump and soft instead of sharp and cold. Her hair was smoother and longer. Her cheeks weren't sunken like before, they were full. Her lips weren't chapped anymore, they were soft and pink. I glanced at the hands in the box. When did I stop biting my nails?

"Do you want a slice?" Matty's voice rang down the hall.

"Uh, yeah." Wait, I bought vanilla, right?"

"It's chocolate."

"Maybe a sliver. Thanks."

I hurriedly put my bathroom supplies into their racks and drawers, then collapsed the box in my hands.

My reflection stared back at me for a moment. Would the person I was two years ago recognize who I am today? She would probably loathe who I have become, but I made my peace with her.

I flicked off the light and walked outside the bathroom. My box of stolen books. I made a note for myself.

DONATE - YOUTH CENTRE

Then I walked into the kitchen, gave the man I love a kiss and enjoyed my slice of cake.