g

they didn't think that it would start drizzling in the middle of their kickball game

they didn't think that it would start drizzling in the middle of their kickball game. beomgyu had even checked the weather and everything, the forecast showing only clouds. but once they started feeling the soft wet drops on their arms and face, the counselors ushered the campers into the lobby, settling them down on the bean bags and armchairs. as jeongin and olivia leave to find board games for the kids to play, the other counselors keep watch.

four of the counselors interact with the kids, squatting down to their level and listening to their stories. geonu, however, wanders over the the large glass window, melody trailing behind him.

she watches geonu's facial expressions get more and more tense at he stares at the murky grey sky and falling pellets of water. she knows how much kickball means to him, but something's off.

she approaches him with hesitation, hand touching his arm gently, "you okay?"

the boy is startled, body jumping away from her touch. he composes himself before answering, "yeah, yeah. i'm fine."

"you don't look fine." she tilts her head to get a better look at his face. but his expression is stoic. his lips are connected tightly, seriousness clouding over the usual sparkle in his eyes. "why the long face?"

"i told you, melody. i'm alright."

"i can tell from your grim expression. come on, what happened?" she pleads, not realizing her repeated questions were making him feel worse.

"nothing. happened." he enunciates, tone getting higher and more agitated.

"geonu, if it's about the kickball game. you played really well, don't be upset-"

"stop acting like you know everything about me." he snaps, looking at her in the eyes for the first time.

"jesus christ. fine, sorry." she throws her hands up in surrender, hurt by his blunt words. the female counselor looks away from him, focusing back on the rain outside. she speaks quieter this time, her voice wavering at the end, as she chokes back her emotions. "sorry..."

only after hearing the quiver in her speech does geonu realize how his words have affected her. he reaches out for her shoulders, but she brushes him off. "mel, i-"

"i just don't understand what happened to you today. it's just a game of kickball." she rants, hurt and anger mixing into an ugly mess of black and red as it seeps into her words.

geonu tries controlling his frustration. he hasn't been clear or tried to explain himself, but he doesn't know how he would now. not without saying everything. "it's not just a game, melody. you wouldn't understand."

"then please help me understand." she's speaking loudly now, but can't bring herself to lower her voice. she has some kind of an ego at the end of the day too. "what went so wrong today that had made you so upset? you've played kickball every year here. and you'll play it next yea-"

"there is no next year!" geonu cuts her off, voice exploding and echoing off the walls of the lobby. he watches her eyes go wide and only then does he realize that the eyes of all the campers and counselors are on them. he tries speaking again, but his voice comes out fragmented and shaky as he feels himself tremble. "this is my last summer here." he looks around at the aghast faces peering at him. when he feels a tear well up in his eye, he finally breaks. "i-i need to g-go."

and with that he runs out of the lobby and to his cabin, pushing past youngbin's worried arms as he darts by the counselor. once he's surrounded by the four dull beige walls of his room again, he kicks the black and red vans off his feet, letting himself escape under the covers. just like he did 9 years ago.

 just like he did 9 years ago