Chapter 2:

Marik was unsure whether to laugh or scream. The sound that came out was a yelp as Bakura broke into a run, causing the shopping cart to launch forward. Before exiting the game shop, Bakura had grabbed one of the carts from the back room and dumped a protesting Marik within. It was small (commonly used by Motou-san to transport deliveries to and from the shop,) but deep, causing Marik to have to curl his body to fit somewhat comfortably within. Bakura had not given him time to settle before they were out of the shop.

The boy prayed silently to any GODS that may be listening that they don't run into any curbs or potholes on their way to the white-haired teen's apartment. He tensed as it wobbled slightly and he struck his arm out to hit the steerer. A chuckle was heard behind him as his fist met air.

Suddenly, a car came out of seemingly nowhere, blinding the two boys with its headlights. Marik screamed and threw himself to the side to get out of the way. His side only hit metal, causing it to sting in pain. Startled, Bakura lost his footing and fell forward. The added weight to the back of the cart caused it to topple and the two went spraying across the hard concrete.

A screeching noise sounded over the boys' groans as it swerved slightly to the side and slowed to a stop. They stared at it with wide eyes, at how close the vehicle actually was. Bakura sprang up, jumping away from the thing that almost crushed them. His hand shot out to Marik and he dragged the boy backwards and towards him, eyes still trained on the black limo.

Without warning, a boy around their age clambered out, blue eyes narrowed and glaring daggers at them. His expression changed from a frown to a sneer. "Where's Yami," he asked, always straight to the point. A hint of disgust in his voice as he addressed his former classmates.

Bakura straightened, feeling the challenge of wits the brunet presented, but it was Marik who spoke. "What? No hello? Are you okays? Do you need a ride?! I mean, you almost ran us over, you asshole and broke our only mode of transportation." He quipped, gesturing to the now bent trolly (Motou-san was going to make them pay for it when he found out.) Not that he wanted Kaiba to be so 'generous'. It would only come back to bite him in the butt disguised as 'favours'.

"Don't waste your breath, Marik. Kaiba's too 'high and mighty' to understand such things as 'empathy'. He has the social skills of a robot," Bakura growled, hands clenched into fists at his side.

The teen smirks when he sees the taller male's eye twitched in annoyance It was more towards Bakura ignoring his question than the insult, but … small victories and all of that. He was not about to tell him where Yami was if only to make him mad. The man was so used to having people obeying him, it was nice to see the CEO not get his way.

Kaiba growled. "I do not have time for your childish games." Yami was his responsibility, just like Mokuba- his little brother- was. No matter how many times they butted heads, they were still family and the Kaiba family looked out for their own. Especially with how few there are left to live up to their reputation. "I'll ask again, where is Atemu," he growled, dropping the preferred name. He hated to ask the same question twice, and he had no patience in dealing with such immature brats.

"Park. He's finally had enough of your whining and thought living as a hobo is better than being in your company." Bakura half-lied, crossing his arms over his chest. Marik cackled madly at his remark, earning a snort out of the boy standing beside him. The 'death glare' darkened. For a few moments, he stood there, studying the pair before he turned and clambered back into his car.

Bakura felt the roar of the engine and quickly scooped up his companion. Marik smirked, relieved, although it was short-lived as he was dumped on a bench located on the sidewalk while Bakura flipped the retreating limo off. To his dismay, it still travelled towards the game shop and not the other way to the park as he hoped.

"Dick," Marik mumbled. He rested his head back, only to blink. Light from the streetlamp blinded him temporarily and he snapped his head back down to land on the semi-darkness of the street, trying to will the black spots away. It didn't do much to help. A nudge was against his shoulder. He looked up, blearily, at his friend.

"Let's go," Bakura huffed. He tilted his head slightly to indicate the direction towards his apartment.

Purple eyes rolled, but he got to his feet, throwing an arm out for support. He was glad when it was willingly provided and the two made their slow trek towards their destination.

————————————

Typical, Yami thought absently as he ascended the stairs to find the living room empty. Despite his sour thoughts, he found himself not caring. As long as they made it to where they were going without stirring up trouble, it was OKAY in his books. And with Marik injured, he could be positive that the two would be less likely to detour.

With a huff, he shuffled into the room and proceeded to pack away the first-aid supplies. Once he was done, he went across the hallway to the kitchen, pausing in the doorway to glance around the room. The fridge was wedged open, and one of the knives were missing from their place on the block next to it.

Sighing, he guided a hand through his hair before he took stock of the fridge to see all the ham, butter, some leftover rice dish, and the cheese missing (he had gone shopping about half-a-day ago, so he knew what he had brought for Grandpa.) Shaking his head, he made a mental note to visit that same-store to replenish the missing stock before he shut the fridge. His gaze drifted over to the sink.

Halfway through making a cup of tea, he heard the sound of an engine cut through the wailing of the kettle. Moving to the window, he grimaced slightly. He hoped it wasn't Kaiba. After a full day of working, then 'babysitting' Marik and Bakura at the Arcade, followed by a run-in with a rival gang, he had no patience left for his cousin. It was past midnight and all he wanted to do was sleep until his morning shift at 9:00 AM.

To his surprise, the car was a Blue Lexus. The door open and a blond-haired teen climbed out of the driver's seat. Sensing eyes upon him, his head snapped up and the man waved to Yami through the window. Pushing away, the tri-coloured teen sighed before going to the hallway. He had to let a certain friend in.

—————————————

Joey smirked as the door was yanked open to reveal his former classmate. Tired crimson eyes glanced back, although the smaller boy's posture was tall and proud as always. "Hey, Yams!" He greeted, swiping a hand around the other teen's neck and pulling him out the door. Yami yelped, unprepared from the action. "Hadn't heard from ya in a while. How's ya doing? Heard money bags were lookin' for ya, so I thought I'd come and whisk ya away for a romantic evening! I mean the stars are bright, Kaiba's pissed, nothing's open and I am the last person's house he'll want to check. What do ya say?"

The tri-coloured hair boy soon recovered and blinked up at the honey-eyed teen. A laugh bubbled in his throat and he shook his head. He had missed his friend's sense of humour, but with the exams at school quickly approaching- and with Yami's busy schedule- it had been hard to find time to see each other. "Alright," he announced loudly, hand going to his pocket to fish out the spare keys given to him by Jii-chan. "I just need to close up again and clean the kitchen- I'll be back in a minute." He told him before disappearing into the shop again.

Joey smiled after him before following him, locking his car with his keys over his shoulder. "Just be quick, yeah?" He yelled and got a muffled confirmation from the stairwell. He grinned.

TBC:

———————————

I would like to start by apologizing for any future late chapters I may post. I would recommend for you guys to follow this story for more accurate updates. I am ill at the moment, and I am not sure when the next chapter will be ready to post.

I appreciate your reviews, and am glad that people have taken an interest in this story- I will try my best to hold it. If anyone has any suggestions on which direction this story should take, please let me know.