One

I tried to open my eyes but it was too bright. A white light blinded me. My eyes stayed closed to adjust to the light.

I opened my mouth and let out a breath. My mouth is so dry. At attempt my hand moved, it felt sore and stiff. Desperately my legs stretched. In general my body feels sore and uncomfortable. I feel like I've been laying the same way for too Long.

I raised my hand to my face and covered my eyes from the light. I tired opening them again. The room was still bright, But I could at least see now. I'm in the hospital?

I looked around and I was in a private room. There was no one here. All I could hear was the beeping of my monitor. I lowered my hand when my eyes adjusted. There are flowers on the table next to me.  Daisies.. My favorite. I reached to grab one out the vase but the doors opened and a nurse walked in.

She was looking at her clip board and when she looked up she was already standing by my bed. "Oh!" She looked startled.

I opened my mouth to say hi but my throat was so dry nothing came out.

"You're awake! What wonderful news! Let me just check everything here and then we'll run some test." She smiled at me. I looked at her confused.

"Let me go get you some ice water." She said.

While she left I found the buttons to move my bed. I sat it up and sighed. Why am I here?

"Okay, here's some water." She handed me the cup when she walked in.

"I'm nurse Darla and I'll be your nurse in the mornings till 5pm. I'm just gonna ask you a few questions while I check your vitals and everything, is that alright?" She smiled at me.

I nodded as I took sips from the cup. I felt it rehydrate my tongue. It was so refreshing.

"Okay lets start with, are you feeling any pain?" She asked.

"I shook my head" I cleared my throat to prepare to talk.

"Can you tell me your name?"

"Jade." I spoke, my voice was low and raspy.

"Last name?"

"Greene"

"Okay great! Do you know why you're here?"

"No"

"Okay, no worries. You were in a car accident, and you were put into a coma. Unfortunately you've been in a coma for 5 months. Which you are very lucky, 5 months in a coma can be very risky. You are a blessing Miss Greene."

"A coma?... For 5 months?... Is that normal?" I asked.

"It's not common to pass only a few weeks and wake up with full recovery. So far you seem fully functional." She said and smiled.

"I was in a car accident?" I tried to remember. My last memory was... Was?... Seth? We were driving. We were moving. I-

"My baby!" I looked down to my stomach. I touched it and there was no bump.

"I would be 6 months! Where's my baby!?" I looked to the nurse. She looked at me worried. Her eyes were sad.

I began to cry. "Where's my baby?" I begged.

"I'm so sorry Miss Greene, The baby did not survive the crash." She said.

"My deepest condolences" She added.

I cried. I sat there and bawled my eyes out. My chest is in pain. I was taking deep breaths to keep myself from going into a full panic.

"Eat some of that ice, I'll be right back with the doctor." She said.